Java Programming

Damocles said:
BlueSam said:
Screw Java and learn Python...god's language

Not even a bit close. Java is four billion times the language of Python, and I use Python on a near daily basis.

How come? I have to admit I have only dabbled in Java but the syntax to me just seems really convoluted.

I only know C and Python and Python just seems like a breath of fresh air and I thought it is used in all sorts or things.

So what has Java got over it that Python simply can't do? I know Python is not famed for speed but neither is Java right?

Stato said:
out of interest and im NOT trying to spark a language war, out of Java and .Net which would be better to learn in terms of getting a job?

.NET has better employability at the moment.

To be honest in my experience, languages matter very little. Languages are essentially syntax differences for 90% of the tasks that a business will require. Employers are attracted to the people. Create some side projects, in whatever language you like. They will show willingness, teach you new skills and keep you polished. Side projects keep you alive in this game.

One day, every single week, I just pick a technology and spend 6-12 hours battling with it and seeing what I learn and what I can create. Most of the time, I stretch each piece of technology in sections of months. My most recent venture was with Node.js with MongoDB and building a little forum within it. In the past, I've played with numerous PHP frameworks, played with XNA, done a lot in C++, the WinAPI, Qt, on both Windows and Linux, etc. If you just dedicate one day a week to your own professional development then you'll build an impressive list of projects to show for it. You'll also show that you can pick up new technologies pretty easily. Make it hard on yourself. Program in Scheme. Use functional programming. Pick up COBOL or Fortran and build something for the hell of it.

The moment that programming changes from been a fun pursuit to "just a job", you lose your employability. Use your 20% time to thrash out some ideas you have. I'm currently building an F1 management simulator in VB.NET because, well, why not? I used VB6 a lot as a kid, I've used a little bit of .NET but I want to go the full hog and get into the bones of the framework and rummage around. VB.NET is an ultra high level language, and I want to learn it because it's new. I picked a management sim because I wanted to build storage algorithms and use SQL Server, including Stored Procedures which is something that I keep meaning to get around to but only have a small knowledge of.

You employability comes from your passion. You can apply for a .NET position as a Java guy and vice versa. If they won't consider you because of this, then it's a cattle market and you don't want to work there anyway. Great tech companies know that the most valuable asset that they have, are great engineers.

PSmyth07 said:
JamesMCFC said:
Can anyone who has eclipse and good at Java know how to stop this code from producing an infinite loop?

public class loop {

public static void main(String[] args) {
// TODO Auto-generated method stub
int total = 0;
int count = 0;
while (count < 10)
{
System.out.print(count + "*");
total = total + count;
count++;
}
System.out.println(total);
}

}

edit:

Beat me to it :D

I was was the first :)

-- Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:21 pm --

Damocles said:
Stato said:
out of interest and im NOT trying to spark a language war, out of Java and .Net which would be better to learn in terms of getting a job?

To be honest in my experience, languages matter very little. Languages are essentially syntax differences for 90% of the tasks that a business will require. Employers are attracted to the people. Create some side projects, in whatever language you like. They will show willingness, teach you new skills and keep you polished. Side projects keep you alive in this game.

One day, every single week, I just pick a technology and spend 6-12 hours battling with it and seeing what I learn and what I can create. Most of the time, I stretch each piece of technology in sections of months. My most recent venture was with Node.js with MongoDB and building a little forum within it. In the past, I've played with numerous PHP frameworks, played with XNA, done a lot in C++, the WinAPI, Qt, on both Windows and Linux, etc. If you just dedicate one day a week to your own professional development then you'll build an impressive list of projects to show for it. You'll also show that you can pick up new technologies pretty easily. Make it hard on yourself. Program in Scheme. Use functional programming. Pick up COBOL or Fortran and build something for the hell of it.

The moment that programming changes from been a fun pursuit to "just a job", you lose your employability. Use your 20% time to thrash out some ideas you have. I'm currently building an F1 management simulator in VB.NET because, well, why not? I used VB6 a lot as a kid, I've used a little bit of .NET but I want to go the full hog and get into the bones of the framework and rummage around. VB.NET is an ultra high level language, and I want to learn it because it's new. I picked a management sim because I wanted to build storage algorithms and use SQL Server, including Stored Procedures which is something that I keep meaning to get around to but only have a small knowledge of.

You employability comes from your passion. You can apply for a .NET position as a Java guy and vice versa. If they won't consider you because of this, then it's a cattle market and you don't want to work there anyway. Great tech companies know that the most valuable asset that they have, are great engineers.

Well said Sir.

EDIT: BAE doesn't believe that any more.

Finance, HR, Project Management, Procurement and IT are more important.

-- Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:25 pm --

BlueSam said:
Damocles said:
BlueSam said:

Not even a bit close. Java is four billion times the language of Python, and I use Python on a near daily basis.

How come? I have to admit I have only dabbled in Java but the syntax to me just seems really convoluted.

I only know C and Python and Python just seems like a breath of fresh air and I thought it is used in all sorts or things.

So what has Java got over it that Python simply can't do? I know Python is not famed for speed but neither is Java right?

Python automatically uses indents and is *profoundly* economical in terms of requirements and design.

It's almost english in readability.

Fantastic for translating into other languages.

Even ADA- hahahahahaha

-- Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:34 pm --

Damocles said:
BlueSam said:

Bollocks.

Imagine all those type declarations in a complex architecture :)

If Bluemoon had a like button, I would like this

<a class="postlink" href="http://code.google.com/edu/languages/google-python-class/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://code.google.com/edu/languages/go ... hon-class/</a>

This is centred around text analysis exercises..

helmutvandeshaft said:

If Bluemoon had a like button, I would like this

Obviously working for BAE has prejudiced me against microsoft. Ok for an office network but the idea of installing it on a real-time platform makes me shudder.

I guess its still the mass market operating system of choice.

Hey guys

I've been given this question for Uni does anyone where I would even start? I'm using eclipse:

1. Professor Pseudoscience is very busy doing pseudoscience and must publish a paper in the esteemed journal “Psychology and Tarot Cards" quickly; alas he has a large batch of assignments to mark, he can't be bothered reading all of them - in fact any of them - and you are enlisted to write a program that will automatically mark them. As such write a program that takes a single command line argument which is a filename (the file to be marked) and works out and prints the density of the assignment: where density is defined as the mean length of the words in the essay, i.e. the total number of characters divided by the total number of words. If the density is greater than 6 give the essay a first i, otherwise give it a 2i. These marks should be printed to the screen.

BlueSam said:
Damocles said:
BlueSam said:

Thats because its an interpreted rather than compiled and linked language.

It can be encrypted.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.