Jeff Winter

mackenzie

Anyone been to one of his after dinner guest speaker events?

Just wondering if he is any good.

His speakings are similar to his refereeing, absoloutely diabolical.
Routine consists of how good he was and the mutual respect between him and Roy Keane etc

His 2006 autobiography, Who's The B*****d In The Black? was notable for Winter's sense of self-importance, particularly in his treatment of his final game as referee of a professional league match, where he suggests that the crowd's warm reaction at the end might have been reserved for him.

In the end I played a little bit extra, waiting until play was at the Kop end, before sounding the final shrill blast - a bit like the Last Post. The fans behind the goal burst into spontaneous applause. It was longer and louder than normal, even for a big home win. Did they know it was my final visit? Was the applause for me? They are such knowledgeable football people, that it would not surprise me.

A critical Times review of the book suggested a more plausible explanation for the extra applause was that the game saw Liverpool take the advantage in the race with Newcastle United for 4th and final UEFA Champions League place for the next season with their 4-0 defeat of Blackburn Rovers.

Met him at COMS against 'borough. Started chatting away to him and he was just moody.

If you go, call him a git from me:)

bornblueegg said:
Met him at COMS against 'borough. Started chatting away to him and he was just moody.

If you go, call him a git from me:)

Oh, no probs....this CAN be arranged I assure you. ;-)

Hubby went to see Mike Summerbee at a similar event few months ago and was instructed to bring back both video evidence and a signed personal note to me from Mike.

He duly delivered.

I'll text him on the night to remind him...when a few beers have gone down. LOL!!!!

Sent a couple of City players off in the 5-a side masters tournament.
Never happened before or since.

I saw him at the COMS doing after dinner speaking in the year after he stopped reffing - you could tell that he wasn't a seasoned pro. Didn't really rate him - have seen much better than him - although that was a few years ago - so he could be much better (but doubt it)

I wouldn't be bothered on missing him to be honest

BrowneBlueBird said:
I saw him at the COMS doing after dinner speaking in the year after he stopped reffing - you could tell that he wasn't a seasoned pro. Didn't really rate him - have seen much better than him - although that was a few years ago - so he could be much better (but doubt it)

I wouldn't be bothered on missing him to be honest

Cheers.

It's a gentlemans dinner though so I can't go anyway. Was really peeved about missing the Summerbee one, but I guess this one is one that I won't fret about. ;-)

Blue Punter said:
His speakings are similar to his refereeing, absoloutely diabolical.
Routine consists of how good he was and the mutual respect between him and Roy Keane etc

His 2006 autobiography, Who's The B*****d In The Black? was notable for Winter's sense of self-importance, particularly in his treatment of his final game as referee of a professional league match, where he suggests that the crowd's warm reaction at the end might have been reserved for him.

In the end I played a little bit extra, waiting until play was at the Kop end, before sounding the final shrill blast - a bit like the Last Post. The fans behind the goal burst into spontaneous applause. It was longer and louder than normal, even for a big home win. Did they know it was my final visit? Was the applause for me? They are such knowledgeable football people, that it would not surprise me.

A critical Times review of the book suggested a more plausible explanation for the extra applause was that the game saw Liverpool take the advantage in the race with Newcastle United for 4th and final UEFA Champions League place for the next season with their 4-0 defeat of Blackburn Rovers.

LOL, what a tosser, you can imagine him waiting for the Kop to sing his name.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.