Jehovahs Witness

-dabz- said:
I understand what you're saying mate and I wasn't having a go at you. I just think that God botherers are doing nothing more than trying to spread the word of love and peace and I don't see that as a bad thing, whether it's misguided or not.

By trying to get these people to question their beliefs, implies that you know better....you don't...not one person on the planet does. If it works for them, who are we to judge? They seem happy enough to me, so what gives us the right to try and take away that happiness by "getting them to question their beliefs."

I just feel there is more important things to "debate"...

There is no truer word said than ignorence is bliss.

Love and peace is good but what has that got to do with religious cults? Why not lose the religious mumbo-jumbo and talk about love and peace if that is what it is about?

All beliefs should be questioned, particularly those that are not based on any evidence or rationality and especially in a society where the majority rule. All totalitarian governments have grown out of places where people are very religious. Hitler, Stalin etc were just men, without irrational beliefs to prey upon, whether it be the religion directly (in Hitler's case) or the externalization of the conscience, fundamental to the religious mindset, (in Stalin's case), they wouldn't have been effective.

Ignorance may be bliss for the ignorant, but all too often it is disastrous for everyone else.

"Love and peace is good but what has that got to do with religious cults? Why not lose the religious mumbo-jumbo and talk about love and peace if that is what it is about?"

And what happens to people who talk about love and peace?
Mocked and derided usually.

"All beliefs should be questioned"

Does that include yours?

"Ignorance may be bliss for the ignorant, but all too often it is disastrous for everyone else."

I think you have misunderstood me on that one, intentional or otherwise. Peace and love fellow city fan ;O)

-dabz- said:
"Love and peace is good but what has that got to do with religious cults? Why not lose the religious mumbo-jumbo and talk about love and peace if that is what it is about?"

Does that include yours?

"Ignorance may be bliss for the ignorant, but all too often it is disastrous for everyone else."

I think you have misunderstood me on that one, intentional or otherwise. Peace and love fellow city fan ;O)

Yes, my 'beliefs' should be questioned. I question them myself.

If I misunderstood your comment I can assure you it wasn't intentional :)

ElanJo said:
-dabz- said:

Does that include yours?

Sorry to butt in but i hard a great line on the film Dogma; Its better to have a good idea. Beliefs are a lot more difficult to change, people go to war and die over beliefs, an idea can be changed alot easier.
Thats the genral jist of the line anyway. IMO spot on way of thinking.

twoddlehopper said:
ElanJo said:
-dabz- said:

Does that include yours?

Sorry to butt in but i hard a great line on the film Dogma; Its better to have a good idea. Beliefs are a lot more difficult to change, people go to war and die over beliefs, an idea can be changed alot easier.
Thats the genral jist of the line anyway. IMO spot on way of thinking.

Aye, I hate the worlds "Belief"and "Believe". It's just hard not to use them in some circumstances.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.