Jeremie Frimpong

Given he has a release clause, it's a no brainer

Think he's a bit weak defensively compared to prime Walker, but it's a no beainer given his skillset and age and Walker on his last legs
He will have time to adapt. I don’t think we’d sell Walker, but Frimpong and he’d be first choice. Akanji would be. Look at Gvardiol this season he’s been behind Ake.

Frimpong would get his chances obviously but would have time to work out how he’d fit in our system.

I hope we buy him or use Couto.

The problem with that is teams have worked out better ways to nullify Erling, hence his perceived issues this season. It's difficult to say, but it has to be said... We're a different team with & without the Viking. With him, the top teams have sussed out how to deal with us. Without him, few teams can handle our fluid rotational movement as evidence against Brighton.
Whilst I agree that we play slightly differently, but are not a 'different team'....I don't think other teams 'working out how to nullify him' is quite right.....he's just missed a lot more 'easy' chances than last season.

It's not too complicated to see how he'd fit the team, as Pep has been asking Walker to play wide very often this season.

We have even often asked both fullbacks to go up and wide, let the wingers go in midfield to crowd it with 5 players. Pep usually does this against high press teams (Newcastle).

He would basically be a winger who happens to defend as a RB when needed.

He may not be as good defensively in transitions like Walker has been for us, but Pep would definitely need Stones or Akanji as the RCB to help out there.

Allows the RW to move inside, whoever that may be, Savio, Foden, Bobb most likely.

I still personally prefer our system with wingers out wide, and no fullback holding the width, but pushing a CB into the midfield, Stones or even Akanji has gotten better at this, and I think Gvardiol could be a superstar in this role with some of the things we have seen him do.

And Frimpong could still be bought and useful as he can just be a fast dynamic winger to join in the likes of Doku and Savio.

This allows Grealish, and Bobb to play more inside midfield spots with Foden and KdB.

My view on him as well. To be fair, Vinicius ragdolls most RBs though. Don’t ever think he’d be first choice here, but I suppose he wouldn’t be a much worse option than Sergio Gomez to have around. Proven himself to be one of the best players for the team that’s 2nd in La Liga, and called up for the Brazilian NT. Only 21 too
Can be a very expensive summer, so it could make some sense to have him around as a backup. If Walker stays for another season AND we sign a RB then no chance for Couto
I don't think Couto has anywhere near the physicality required to be a successful fullback in the Premier League. Will happily eat crow on this if I'm wrong but I just think he'd get eaten alive if he were to make the move over.

Frimpong might not necessarily be a better defender than Couto but he has far better pace and we can develop him to where he isn't a liability on defense. Couto for me is a Cancelo regen and I'm not sure that's the direction we want to go.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.