Jimmy Carr

The treatment of Rachel Riley on twitter is just fucking bullying by the far left. Disgusting treatment by a load of dickheads
Any idea why she won't criticise Carr, tbh thats all those folk are asking, She's given dogs abuse herself to anyone she thinks is an Anti-Semite or cracked jokes about it.

Any idea why she won't criticise Carr, tbh thats all those folk are asking, She's given dogs abuse herself to anyone she thinks is an Anti-Semite or cracked jokes about it.
Guess she doesn’t care about the travelling community.

Or maybe she didn’t get offended by the joke.

Who knows?

I like Jimmy Carr like I do Frankie Boyle - sometimes they push the envelope and challenge the boundaries of humour but there are some things best left unsaid

Why has it taken over a month for the snowflakes to moan about this since it aired on Netflix and even longer since he filmed it.

Wasn't even Jimmy's best stand up show tbf.

Funny or unfunny, racist or not, I was educated as I was unaware of the Roma atrocities.
Just some victims of the holocaust:
Jews, Roma, Gays, mentally or physically disabled, intellectual opponents, Communists.

I actually went to his gig in Manchester last night.
I booked it one night over Xmas after wine happened and I'd all but forgotten about it....file under 'let's try this'.

Went with my daughter as we both enjoy comedy and I wanted to tick 'Famous TV Comic Live' off my list.

I thought it was ok and he can be funny at times, but I was hardly belly laughing.
Was at the Bridgewater hall. I think I'd be better off seeing someone at smaller venues. Lends itself more to orchestral events (my mind was wandering and was hoping it rounded up so I could get back and watch one of my boxsets.
Difficult to be shocked any anything so it seemed like going through the motions. I'd have liked to see Sean Lock.

He's no Dave Chappelle.

I actually went to his gig in Manchester last night.
I booked it one night over Xmas after wine happened and I'd all but forgotten about it....file under 'let's try this'.

Went with my daughter as we both enjoy comedy and I wanted to tick 'Famous TV Comic Live' off my list.

I thought it was ok and he can be funny at times, but I was hardly belly laughing.
Was at the Bridgewater hall. I think I'd be better off seeing someone at smaller venues. Lends itself more to orchestral events (my mind was wandering and was hoping it rounded up so I could get back and watch one of my boxsets.
Difficult to be shocked any anything so it seemed like going through the motions. I'd have liked to see Sean Lock.

He's no Dave Chappelle.

check out gary delaney, really enjoy some of his work

I'm not her but given that she has just given birth and that she is not part of the traveller community, I imagine she has better things to do. She is Jewish so I imagine she is offended by anyone that is antisemitic. Why aren't the same dickheads harassing people who speak out about racism or disability rights? The answer is she spoke out about their hero Corbyn,and they have harassed her ever since.

Just some victims of the holocaust:
Jews, Roma, Gays, mentally or physically disabled, intellectual opponents, Communists.
Funnily enough I was aware of all but the travellers. I think that tells a tale. I thought that I had a good understanding of what happened but it seems as though a section of society has been overlooked.

Thankyou for the detail though. Every day is a school day.

Wow!

And Brits wonder where the slippery slope of free speech starts and ends???

You no longer HAVE free speech, and free speech as satire has ALWAYS been allowed, championed even.

People need to get over their damned selves or they’re going to wake up one day, open Bluemoon, and realize about 80% of the best, funniest, most leacherous, and politically pointed comments have been blacked out or removed entirely.

We have the usual Texas School District book burning arguments on the news atm, but it’s just amazing to see the nouveau (faux?!) “outrage” about a joke!

Laugh, don’t laugh. Watch, don’t watch. PICK YOUR POSITION!

But, please know, if you click on YouTube to see the joke, the person who posted it is getting paid for that!

If you watch the Special, then Jimmy Carr just gets more money for the next one!

Much like most things in life, if you don’t like it, avoid it. But this one is even more special, because it’s about FREE SPEECH! Accordingly, you should all tread very carefully, or before you know it, there will be a million “special interests” about which no fun can be made, no unsanitized comments may be uttered, lest you run afoul of “the law!”

When it comes to COMMERCIAL comedy, let the market speak. Let people decide for themselves. Let eyeballs and clicks, or lack thereof, make it a bad COMMERCIAL decision to promote views the society abhors. But, also remember that when you turn the vacuum up onto its highest setting, you may remove things you didn’t intend to, but once they’re gone, they’re gone…and good luck getting them back!

Who is CENSORSHIP best for?
You?
Doubtful!

I've read through the thread to this point, and from memory, i don't recall anyone suggesting Jimmy Carr should be sensored or removed. Some people have said it was funny, others said it was not. The main conversation seemed to be about Frankie Boyle. So your post, as usual, is a massive over-reaction. It's exactly the type of reaction ignorant bigots give when people explain to them that certain words, phrases or jokes are racist or discriminatory. "Can't even call them Easter Eggs now, cos of the bloody muslims, we might offend them iniit Dave". It takes criticism of an abhorrent joke and suggests that peoples freedoms are being harmed. They're not. Carr has the freedom so say racist stuff, he is not free from the consequences of his words.

The fact is we have as much free speech here as you do in the US. Because we don't have a written constitution, with a first amendment mandating free speech it is easy to lose sight of the fact that Britons historically have, and still do, exercise some of the broadest free speech rights of any people on earth, especially in their ability to criticize the government, a most important bellwether of free speech rights. The American concept of free speech developed directly from the British, and in many important respects, the free speech rights exercised in both countries are quite similar.

Last edited:
While I think Carr can be tasteless for effect, I think he can also be very clever.

Often, I find some of the best humor is when the mirror is held up to an audience that laughs, no matter how uncomfortably. Some of that is, as was suggested, being caught up in the mob, while other times you haven’t had time to digest the deeper meaning and are laughing at some superficiality you heard.

When we stop and think about it, it’s who we are, collectively and individually, that scares us most.

EDIT: Here’s a cheap equivalency, albeit not nearly as subtle or nuanced..,

Good news, bad news.

Good news: Bus loaded with lawyers drove off a cliff today!

Bad news: There were a few open seats!

Lawyers are a much easier cohort to make fun off, and this is an old set up and joke that I’ve heard related in racist terms before. But, the essence of the joke is similar in that it’s horrific to think of a bus load of anybody dying in an horrific accident is funny, but the twist is that not only do we not like lawyers (unless we need one and they’re ours!) but we wasted an opportunity to kill a few more!

There’s no “humor” in death…or is there? And, if so, where is the line, how close can you get, and how many people are willing to cross the line with you if you dare to take the step?

From there, the question becomes, what is funnier, or scarier, that you were willing to cross the line or that in crossing the line, you have raised the mirror on yourself, your values, your beliefs, and your own sense of where the line might be?

I hope that better explains my thoughts.

Sadly, as they say about humor, the more you have to explain, the less funny it becomes!
The difference with your example being that Lawyers have never been persecuted to the same extent as say Jews or Gypsies. Certainly there is no real life, in living memory, example of Lawyers being killed in bus/ cliff accidents in the same way that millions of people were killed by the Nazi's. So the joke has very little historic pain attached to it.

Lawyers have also always sat at the "top" of society, and punching up as opposed to punching down is much less likely to be seen as bullying / persecution / demonization.

It's not a question of their being humour in death or not, its whether there is humour in specifically targeting groups who have historically been treated abhorrently by the majority of society and whether you think they are a suitable target for "jokes" about it being a good thing for them to be killed systematically in order to wipe them off the planet.

See the difference?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.