Jimmy Carr

No exactly, and that response hasn't come out of nowhere. Suppose it's the same kind of confirmation bias that exists against any minority. Logic tells me that the vast majority of travellers must be perfectly nice, but the only two groups I've ever encountered absolutely were not, so those are the experiences that stick in my mind. I'd imagine the reason for that is purely that the 'normal' travellers are by definition not ones I'd have come across as they keep to themselves. The people cheering probably have had the same experience.

That said I do think watching a Jimmy Carr gig and being offended at anything he says is like having a picnic at the beach and being pissed when the seagulls turn up. Once the clip is taken out of the context where everyone seeing it is expecting to hear some (extremely) offensive material, and put on Twitter for people who were just trying to have their morning coffee to hear, it will obviously get a very different reaction.

I'd say its more to do with the fact that the interactions you have had with "normal" gypsies or travellers, you didn't even realise were interactions with gypsies or travellers. They were just people you met in a pub, or served you in a shop, or chatted to on the bus.

I'm not her but given that she has just given birth and that she is not part of the traveller community, I imagine she has better things to do. She is Jewish so I imagine she is offended by anyone that is antisemitic. Why aren't the same dickheads harassing people who speak out about racism or disability rights? The answer is she spoke out about their hero Corbyn,and they have harassed her ever since.

Do you mean she made shit up about him that would have seen her sued for libel had he not been a politician?

Other than that can't see why people pay much attention to her, she is a not very bright (outside of maths) rag with a platform far bigger than any halfwitted crap she has posted deserves.

The difference with your example being that Lawyers have never been persecuted to the same extent as say Jews or Gypsies. Certainly there is no real life, in living memory, example of Lawyers being killed in bus/ cliff accidents in the same way that millions of people were killed by the Nazi's. So the joke has very little historic pain attached to it.

Lawyers have also always sat at the "top" of society, and punching up as opposed to punching down is much less likely to be seen as bullying / persecution / demonization.

It's not a question of their being humour in death or not, its whether there is humour in specifically targeting groups who have historically been treated abhorrently by the majority of society and whether you think they are a suitable target for "jokes" about it being a good thing for them to be killed systematically in order to wipe them off the planet.

See the difference?

yeah it’s definitely a suitable joke to be made, he said it and 100s of people in the audience laughed and 1000s more will have laughed watching on Netflix and 100s of thousands all over the world will have laughed, it did exactly what a joke is designed to do and made people laugh

if you’re in that audience with 100s of people around you are laughing and having a great night out, forgetting the shit in their lives and just being able to relax and enjoy themselves without judgment but you personally don’t like it, if your answer to that is to stop everyone elses fun cos your feelings got hurt over a joke then I think you’re a bit of a twat

it’s so fuckin simple if you don’t like it don’t watch it and don’t spend a single second worrying what was said because no matter what got said nobody was injured or killed and everyone just had a great time

yeah it’s definitely a suitable joke to be made, he said it and 100s of people in the audience laughed and 1000s more will have laughed watching on Netflix and 100s of thousands all over the world will have laughed, it did exactly what a joke is designed to do and made people laugh

if you’re in that audience with 100s of people around you are laughing and having a great night out, forgetting the shit in their lives and just being able to relax and enjoy themselves without judgment but you personally don’t like it, if your answer to that is to stop everyone elses fun cos your feelings got hurt over a joke then I think you’re a bit of a twat

it’s so fuckin simple if you don’t like it don’t watch it and don’t spend a single second worrying what was said because no matter what got said nobody was injured or killed and everyone just had a great time

Where did I suggest that people shouldn't be allowed to go to comedy? Hint: I didn't.

Where did I suggest people shouldn't be allowed to go to offensive comedy? Hint: I didn't.

You can go an watch a comedian and laugh and cheer when he suggests that the systematic killing of a group of persecuted people was a good thing. I can then call you a simple, racist, ****.

Where did I suggest that people shouldn't be allowed to go to comedy? Hint: I didn't.

Where did I suggest people shouldn't be allowed to go to offensive comedy? Hint: I didn't.

You can go an watch a comedian and laugh and cheer when he suggests that the systematic killing of a group of persecuted people was a good thing. I can then call you a simple, racist, ****.

heres something that might come as a surprise….he didn’t mean it and doesn’t actually want thousands of people dying and neither do his audience

it’s just a joke

I actually went to his gig in Manchester last night.
I booked it one night over Xmas after wine happened and I'd all but forgotten about it....file under 'let's try this'.

Went with my daughter as we both enjoy comedy and I wanted to tick 'Famous TV Comic Live' off my list.

I thought it was ok and he can be funny at times, but I was hardly belly laughing.
Was at the Bridgewater hall. I think I'd be better off seeing someone at smaller venues. Lends itself more to orchestral events (my mind was wandering and was hoping it rounded up so I could get back and watch one of my boxsets.
Difficult to be shocked any anything so it seemed like going through the motions. I'd have liked to see Sean Lock.

He's no Dave Chappelle.
I saw Sean lock at the apollo.
Was very disappointed because I thought he would be great and he was pretty bad.
Nothing at all like he is on 8 out of 10 cats.

Not sure if it's been posted (can't be arsed reading back through all the pages) but have people actually watched the whole sequence and not just the joke itself.
I was surprised at how tame the joke was for Carr, he's said far worse.
The travellers joke was essentially just a simple, basic holocaust joke. Except it has the additional use of being about minorities who are normally not known about. And he even says afterward that it's part of the goal of the joke, to raise awareness.
It wasn't antisemitic and the joke asked question, what other minority groups were targeted? He prepares the audience before the joke, how you deliver a joke is its foundation and he delivered it perfectly. He didn't just throw the joke in, it and the audience were carefully prepared first. The reaction it has recieved is being made by many who haven't seen it and never will. Whether its funny or not is always subjective, to some it was tasteless and provocative but that is Carr's brand.

Last edited:
heres something that might come as a surprise….he didn’t mean it and doesn’t actually want thousands of people dying and neither do his audience

it’s just a joke
It's like the sort of people who thought that the Life of Brian was taking the piss out of Jesus simply because he featured in the movie. People seem to have a big problem with ironic humour nowadays and a lot of people get angry about a joke they demonstrably don't get.

I just watched a clip of the relatively tame Room 101 and Micky Flanagan is talking about celebrity chefs and Gordon Ramsey. He says "Gordon is very angry, aggressive, crazy. I understand that. He's ended up doing a lady's job." Is he a sexist? Should the BBC refuse to broadcast that joke for fear of reinforcing stereotypes? Or did everyone in the room and everyone watching at home instantly understand that it was meant as an ironic joke and he doesn't really believe it?

And if you accept that this joke is fine, then you have to explain when ironic gender, race, disability, sexuality, religion, murder, genocide, sexual abuse content is acceptable, and when it isn't. Are some of those topics always off limits? When is irony a defence and when isn't it?

Not sure if it's been posted (can't be arsed reading back through all the pages) but have people actually watched the whole sequence and not just the joke itself.
I was surprised at how tame the joke was for Carr, he's said far worse.
The travellers joke was essentially just a simple, basic holocaust joke. Except it has the additional use of being about minorities who are normally not known about. And he even says afterward that it's part of the goal of the joke, to raise awareness.
It wasn't antisemitic and the joke asked question, what other minority groups were targeted? He prepares the audience before the joke, how you deliver a joke is its foundation and he delivered it perfectly. He didn't just throw the joke in, it and the audience were carefully prepared first. The reaction it has recieved is being made by many who haven't seen it and never will. Whether its funny or not is always subjective, it was tasteless and provocative but that is Carr's brand.

People are upset at that? Wtf

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.