Jimmy Carr

I think we all know the kind of comedia Jimmy Carr is. This to me seems like a classic 'if you don't like the jokes he makes then don't watch/listen to him.'

I don't particularly like Jimmy Carr but i certainly wouldn't complain about a joke he makes. Maybe that's because my stance on comedy is everything is fair game. I think it was the South Park guys who said soemthing like 'the moment you decide you won't joke about something is the moment you become a bigot,' which makes a lot of sense to me.

heres something that might come as a surprise….he didn’t mean it and doesn’t actually want thousands of people dying and neither do his audience

it’s just a joke

In fairness, they are not. Or at least the majority are not. They are arguing it is upsetting,offensive. Not seen anyone claiming they are upset or offended.

I think this is the thing for me, i'm not offended, i'm not a traveller, but it is offensive and to add unnecessarily targets a minority group who still suffer significant racism with little societal support.

Both Romany Gypsies and Irish Travellers are considered specific racial groups and are probably the only racial group that it is still considered ok to essentially persecute. They are still seen as "fair game". If Jimmy does the same joke about g*ys, n*ggers, k*kes or p*kis, i suspect we would see very few of the "its just jokes" crowd out hear defending them, because they recognise that its unacceptable within society, but for travellers the attitude is, meh its just jokes.

Jimmy Carr does another bit about how he loves edgier jokes, and how he loves the moment the punchline lands and he hears that collective oooh and then people laugh as they accept that it is just a joke. You can hear an example of it in this latest clip when he first mentions the holocaust. Then, however, when he does the traveller punchline its just a big long laugh, elongated (with some of the ooh) but also with some cheers and applause. Its the audience reaction that i find really distasteful, because you know (and Jimmy knows which is why he chose the travellers as the target of the joke) that there is a significant minority within that crowd (and indeed any crowd in the UK) that don't see an issue with rounding up this specific minority and massacaring them.

I'm a big fan of Jimmy Carr and i think he could have done a lot better. His final section about the Jehovahs witnesses was infinitely funnier because of the wordplay involved. In my view, he's picked an easy target, and that is a bully and a cunts trick.

I think this is the thing for me, i'm not offended, i'm not a traveller, but it is offensive and to add unnecessarily targets a minority group who still suffer significant racism with little societal support.

Both Romany Gypsies and Irish Travellers are considered specific racial groups and are probably the only racial group that it is still considered ok to essentially persecute. They are still seen as "fair game". If Jimmy does the same joke about g*ys, n*ggers, k*kes or p*kis, i suspect we would see very few of the "its just jokes" crowd out hear defending them, because they recognise that its unacceptable within society, but for travellers the attitude is, meh its just jokes.

Jimmy Carr does another bit about how he loves edgier jokes, and how he loves the moment the punchline lands and he hears that collective oooh and then people laugh as they accept that it is just a joke. You can hear an example of it in this latest clip when he first mentions the holocaust. Then, however, when he does the traveller punchline its just a big long laugh, elongated (with some of the ooh) but also with some cheers and applause. Its the audience reaction that i find really distasteful, because you know (and Jimmy knows which is why he chose the travellers as the target of the joke) that there is a significant minority within that crowd (and indeed any crowd in the UK) that don't see an issue with rounding up this specific minority and massacaring them.

I'm a big fan of Jimmy Carr and i think he could have done a lot better. His final section about the Jehovahs witnesses was infinitely funnier because of the wordplay involved. In my view, he's picked an easy target, and that is a bully and a cunts trick.
What’s left to joke about?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.