Jimmy Carr

And, that’s another “trick”…take the audience to 90, push them to 105, then bring them back to 95 and they barely even notice where they are now!

Carr, and others, are famous for taking a joke thread and telling the audience they are going to keep going further down the rabbit hole until no-one laughs!

Meanwhile, REAL problems exist in the world!

Yeah I just think that was just too quick a trip for it to work in that way.

Is it self-censored, or censored at all? Or just offensive words shoehorned into an arguement that can just as easily be made without them. Agree, the context is clear enough, yet, they still seem jarring.

Don't mean to labour the point. It was a suggestion, and not really for my benefit. I don't have an issue with it and I'll leave it at that, happy to be cancelled on this one.

I used them very deliberately, and will leave them (unless asked to remove them) in particular because they are jarring.

I'm of the opinion that a word can't really be offensive on it's own. It is context that gives words meaning and thus offence.

Oh look…you GOT the joke, but then completely missed the THRUST of the joke! Shocked! Shocked, I say!

Let me try again…

Killing Jews…BAD
SUBSTITUTING for Gypsies…Funny.

WHY?

He is holding a mirror up to his audience, and society.

Why is the extermination of one group considered so deplorable (because we are conditioned to KNOW the extermination of 6 million Jews may be the most heinous genocide in history, and it’s a current open wound with many who lived through it), yet switch it to a group that is CURRENTLY not generally considered as “protected” and are still quite openly negatively identified, and it’s funny and you can quite openly laugh out loud in your “safe mob”?

The joke is switch from the KNOWN “protected class” and we can laugh openly, because WE deem it so.

Is that right?
Is it wrong?
Do you laugh now and feel bad later?
Do you laugh now and never even THINK it’s something you shouldn’t find funny?

If you can’t see that, there’s nothing I can do. But, if you continue to be the tip of the spear on this issue, expect to meet resistance when you reach your target.

You keep pointing out the structure of the joke as if that somehow makes it all less offensive. A knock knock joke can be offensive if you choose to make it so.

You talk about holding up a mirror to the audience and to society, and on this topic I think you give the audience too much credit. At what point does it stop being a clever joke that the likes of you get, to just being a straight up racist joke laughed at by racists?

I've read through the thread to this point, and from memory, i don't recall anyone suggesting Jimmy Carr should be sensored or removed. Some people have said it was funny, others said it was not. The main conversation seemed to be about Frankie Boyle. So your post, as usual, is a massive over-reaction. It's exactly the type of reaction ignorant bigots give when people explain to them that certain words, phrases or jokes are racist or discriminatory. "Can't even call them Easter Eggs now, cos of the bloody muslims, we might offend them iniit Dave". It takes criticism of an abhorrent joke and suggests that peoples freedoms are being harmed. They're not. Carr has the freedom so say racist stuff, he is not free from the consequences of his words.

The fact is we have as much free speech here as you do in the US. Because we don't have a written constitution, with a first amendment mandating free speech it is easy to lose sight of the fact that Britons historically have, and still do, exercise some of the broadest free speech rights of any people on earth, especially in their ability to criticize the government, a most important bellwether of free speech rights. The American concept of free speech developed directly from the British, and in many important respects, the free speech rights exercised in both countries are quite similar.
Not sure having a ‘culture secretary’ and free speech are entirely compatible, to be honest. Especially with: “Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries says govt are looking at introducing a new ‘media bill’ which will “impose sanctions” on streaming services and video on demand platforms for the “kind of comments Jimmy Carr made”.

The only good news is that, if this is near the top of the governments agenda, everything else must be sorted…

I used them very deliberately, and will leave them (unless asked to remove them) in particular because they are jarring.

I'm of the opinion that a word can't really be offensive on it's own. It is context that gives words meaning and thus offence.

I'm confused, then why the asterix at all?

I don't disagree on context btw, said along those lines myself about jokes.

I'm happy to bow out of this one.

Yeah I just think that was just too quick a trip for it to work in that way.
I think you may be right.

Sadly, comedians are often so far ahead of their audience, the brilliance behind the construction that goes into their jokes is completely missed.

That said, living in America, I have a new, basement level, appreciation of why really intelligent comedians don’t always go over well here, and why the in your face slapstick hyenas do…

Not the smartest tools in the shed… I give you “Jimmy Kimmel’s Sidewalk Show”

And, before you think they are going to ask you to identify a small country on the other side of the world, the question is “Can you name ANY COUNTRY…including the one you are in right now…on a map of the world?”

[Please watch until the end :-) ]

P.S. Jackass Forever is the #1 Movie in America right now!

You keep pointing out the structure of the joke as if that somehow makes it all less offensive. A knock knock joke can be offensive if you choose to make it so.

You talk about holding up a mirror to the audience and to society, and on this topic I think you give the audience too much credit. At what point does it stop being a clever joke that the likes of you get, to just being a straight up racist joke laughed at by racists?
THAT IS THE FUCKING JOKE!!!!

SHEESH!!!

Can somebody briefly tell me how Frankley Boyle (horrible c*nt) who once made nasty jibes about the appearances of people and the disabled is now a fucking Saint of the BBC? Attack ideas not the person, mocking people's appearance isn't comedy.
Even if their appearance results from personal choices?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.