#27 | João Cancelo - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep said this last night; "All I want with Joao is this happiness in training, relation with the mates and that he enjoys it because we know the quality that he has. With his happiness in the training sessions he is going to help us a lot in the next seasons..."

So there has clearly been something behind him not integrating with the group very well and not enjoying himself.

can you really blame him though for being unhappy? He was a starter at his previous clubs and came to City and was a bench player. I’d be upset too if I was watching Walker consisting start ahead of me and having to watch him make 98% of his passes to the player closest to him.

Cancelo was a breath of fresh air yesterday, he’s better than Walker imo.

Very open from Pep

Pep on Joao Cancelo:

"The most incredible thing from Joao is now he is a completely different individual from when he arrived. We needed time to understand each other, him to me and the team and me to him too. What I want is his behaviour that he is doing after the restart. When we came back he was the best player in the training session and was incredible and then unfortunately had a little problem on the dangerous part of his leg and he was stopped for a while, but all I want with Joao is this happiness in the training session, relation with the teammates and that he enjoys it because we know the quality that he has. With his happiness in the training sessions he is going to help us a lot in the next seasons. He understands us better than the beginning and we understand him better. Sometimes you need time and now he is happy. He is an incredible communicator, we are delighted in the last few months what he is doing with us."

Sounds like there were differences between him and Pep that are hopefully now resolved.

There was a spell early in the season when Walker was dire but Cancelo still couldn’t get a game.

Just watched last night's game again and some of Cancelo's play was very impressive. I don't care that it was against Watford...he has certainly got a lot of talent. Hopefully he will be given more opportunity next season to show what he can do.

Great acceleration, probably the best among the FBs in the PL. Walker is faster over longer distances but I think Cancelo beats him over 10 yards.

The whole Cancelo situation is a bit annoying to me, I feel like Pep doesn't fully trust Kyle Walker and has spent 85 mil on alternate options which he ends up trusting less and plays walker anyway. Cancelo's a quality player, probably one that's better than any of our left backs but then its even more like well then why did we buy him instead of a left back.

I think it's a slight downside of Pep having sort of free reign at city in that we spent most of last year's budget on a player we didn't need, probably because Pep wants to keep scratching his Walker itch rather than the club imposing discipline and being like 'no pep, we need a left back. Walker is fine.'

Regardless if he becomes a boss left back maybe that bails us out from the whole situation, though watford and Norwich aren't exactly the perfect barometers of quality.

The whole Cancelo situation is a bit annoying to me, I feel like Pep doesn't fully trust Kyle Walker and has spent 85 mil on alternate options which he ends up trusting less and plays walker anyway. Cancelo's a quality player, probably one that's better than any of our left backs but then its even more like well then why did we buy him instead of a left back.

I think it's a slight downside of Pep having sort of free reign at city in that we spent most of last year's budget on a player we didn't need, probably because Pep wants to keep scratching his Walker itch rather than the club imposing discipline and being like 'no pep, we need a left back. Walker is fine.'

Regardless if he becomes a boss left back maybe that bails us out from the whole situation, though watford and Norwich aren't exactly the perfect barometers of quality.
He wanted Cancelo because he could add to the attack on the right. A majority of the width only comes from KDB's crosses (which we've been far too reliant on), while Walker just does a simple overlap and his crosses aren't nearly as successful. We've seen Cancelo's quality on the ball and having him means an extra attacking option acting like a winger and putting in a cross or even coming central and linking up.
This would have meant that if we attacked on the right, Mendy wouldn't need to be as high up. Because of our defensive problems and Cancelo not being ready we had to attack primarily on the left with Mendy high up. To why Walker has to play to try and help have defensive balance. Cancelo needed and still needs time to adjust to the PL, to the new system and what Pep wants him to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.