#27 | João Cancelo - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it wrong to think that without the ‘freedom’ in midfield, he’s not the same player? Is it just form? Or is it inconsistency?

Some suggest that he’s not played with Bernardo/Mahrez to bring the best out of him. I get that Torres didn’t really do much today. It’ll most likely be Walker for the final of the ucl

Is it wrong to think that without the ‘freedom’ in midfield, he’s not the same player? Is it just form? Or is it inconsistency?

Some suggest that he’s not played with Bernardo/Mahrez to bring the best out of him. I get that Torres didn’t really do much today. It’ll most likely be Walker for the final of the ucl

It will 100% be Walker and so it should be. If you need others to bring out the best in you then you are probably not good enough for a side at this level.

Jack of all trades master of none ? He’s versatile enough to play as a midfielder, wing back or traditional fullback but doesn’t excel in any one of them.

I wonder if we were all beguiled by the concept of a full back slotting so seamlessly into midfield and that masked the fact that he wasn’t a particularly strong right back.

I have 2 problems with Cancelo.

1 is that he's 27 in 2 weeks. This is not a kid, he's the age Walker was when he came to us as the finished product and yet he's a million miles away from being the finished product.

2 is that even when he gets to play with no defensive responsibilities, even when he gets to play wherever he likes and has no one marking him and a completely free run...he just doesn't actually do enough with it. 1 goal and 6 assists in 2 full seasons? Mendy has created more goals and he's played a quarter of the games and he's so bad everyone wants him sold.

If he was 21 or if he was a genuine, Dani Alves level, threat in the final third, I think I could accept the poor defending, the real moments of weakness on the ball that cost us vs. Leeds etc.

I think we could buy a right footed Zinchenko type and they'd be at least as good as an attacking player, and could probably learn to defend better.

I don't see a future for him here. Walker is the undisputed number 1, Zinchenko is growing into the LB spot. I suspect short of a serious injury to Walker, he'll be confined to the bench all of next season and demand to leave at the end of it.

I have 2 problems with Cancelo.

1 is that he's 27 in 2 weeks. This is not a kid, he's the age Walker was when he came to us as the finished product and yet he's a million miles away from being the finished product.

2 is that even when he gets to play with no defensive responsibilities, even when he gets to play wherever he likes and has no one marking him and a completely free run...he just doesn't actually do enough with it. 1 goal and 6 assists in 2 full seasons? Mendy has created more goals and he's played a quarter of the games and he's so bad everyone wants him sold.

If he was 21 or if he was a genuine, Dani Alves level, threat in the final third, I think I could accept the poor defending, the real moments of weakness on the ball that cost us vs. Leeds etc.

I think we could buy a right footed Zinchenko type and they'd be at least as good as an attacking player, and could probably learn to defend better.

I don't see a future for him here. Walker is the undisputed number 1, Zinchenko is growing into the LB spot. I suspect short of a serious injury to Walker, he'll be confined to the bench all of next season and demand to leave at the end of it.
If Inter sell Hakimi I can see them coming back in for him.

Moody player, which means he will never be any consistent.

Need to upgrade on him with maybe less talented player but with more consistent one.

What happened to this guy ?

He was like our superstar in January and February..

Having a season within a season. It shouldn't happen. This will only put more pressure on other dull backs. With him and Mendy we can't rely on them consistently. Thought Cancelo had turned over his first season syndrome but we are back at square one.

Won't be sold but next season remains make or break. Either he finds consistency or he is staring at door at ene of next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.