#27 | João Cancelo - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I distinctly recall texting a mate in January stating that suddenly the purchase of Cancelo had finally started to make sense.

For a couple of months he was outstanding.

All of that has completely unravelled in the last moth or so.

He was looking class as our right back and his inverted position really led to our upturn in form and consistency. He had Mahrez ahead of him and Bernardo also over on the right playing with a lot of discipline to stop space in behind. Stones would come across to a position between RCB and RB to cover that space too and in any counter attack we'd sprint towards goal to form a deeper defensive line to prevent an easy shot on goal.

Walker's come back in and Cancelo has been used at left back a bit more, where he simply isn't as good.

But we also don't seem to be utilising Cancelo as well in the inverted role. When he originally sat in there, we had Gundogan further forwards looking to find pockets to get a shot on goal. Now it's just all a bit predictable.

But the stakes are higher now and I think we've probably looked to go for a more cautious approach. It's clearly not working. Cancelo and others need to regain their form if we're to win more than the league this season which we really should be doing.

On the ESL - credit to him for posting negatively about it. Got no problem with that at all. We as fans want to speak out, we should support our players when they do the same.

Fantastic today, his best game in over a month.

Gonna have to admit my error here, like Sterling.

It seems if they play poorly it's not about which side they are on, they are just playing poorly.

Cancelo RB, LB he can play well in both positions, he just has to be on it, the positions themselves are similar enough for it not to make much of a difference (like Sterling).

I still think it's better to stick a player to one spot for an extended period of time, but can't use that as a sole excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.