#27 | João Cancelo - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mixed bag today. Gave the ball away cheaply at times but brought us back into the game with a great burst of pace.

I think he’s more of a winger than a full-back though.

I want to tear my hair out with some of his lazy passing but I have to temper it, with the fact that he actually tries to get us moving forward. Before Foden and KDB were on the pitch, Cancelo was our only attacking outlet.

Best player out there today, shamefully our best attacking threat, sterling a mahrez should be embarrassed by just how outshone they were by him going forward. Might be an argument for starting him further forward but doubt we will see that happen as he is needed at full back and Pep won’t do that to sterling and mahrez despite it being deserved.

Admire his willingness to use his left foot, it’s clearly nothing like his right foot but he will at least try to use it when he can see its advantageous to go down the flank, not coming off but he’s not to blame for being played on the wrong side.

Going forward I wonder whether it might be worth switching walker and cancelo. If Cancelo is given license to go forward like today and Walker is the defensive cover then it could be better to have cancelo on his favoured right side and play walker on the left, allowing us to get more out of cancelo going forward without losing much defensively (depending on who the opponent is and where their pace is)

He is promising going forward but the way he was beaten a couple of times in the first half was concerning. He isn’t a left back for me and our stupid decision to stick with Mendy as our number one when he is crap, is going to cost us this season.

Energetic and enthusiastic, which is more than you can say about others, but barely anything came off for him. The last thing he did was 99% shit, but the one that did come off resulted in a goal.

Not a left back but gives his all. Got beyond his man a few times and put the ball where a striker should be, yet our lot aren’t too keen on bursting a gut to hit the front post.

Cancelo is not the best defender but, against West Ham, he looked by far our best attacking player. It was refreshing to see him run at their defenders and showed up the lacklustre displays of Sterling and Mahrez.

Cancelo is an overly-expensive, not great-on-defense, sometimes OK on offense LB/RB - please sell immediately! - well, maybe not, immediately... immediately after selling Mendy that is - player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.