Joe Mercer honoured on new postage stamp

laserblue said:
A set of 8 stamps entitled 'Remarkable Lives' commemorating people born in 1914 including our own Joe Mercer is out next Tuesday 25th March. A good omen for derby day?

jpg

What the fucks Bilko ever done ?? ;)

If I knew anyone to write to I would go out and buy one (or more) of Joe's stamps but who writes a letter these days?
Even the bills are done on line.

Great honour though. Blue and proud.

Got to buy one, Joe because of his absolute dignity, the King because of his majesty and Mike Doyle because he was he was one of us who lived the dream are the only heroes I ever really had.
And it's too late now, how can you have a hero young enough to be your grandson?

ScreenShot2014-03-07at12_43_47_zps97c979e2.png

Joe Mercer embodied charm, sporting values and humble good humour combined with great skill throughout a 50-year career in football as player and manager. Seemingly always smiling, he was a distinguished competitor for England, Everton and Arsenal, captaining the latter team in two FA Cup finals and two League championships. After retiring from the pitch, Mercer managed Sheffield United, Aston Villa and Manchester City, leading this last team to victory in the FA Cup, European Cup Winners’ Cup and Football League Cup. Born in the Wirral, the son of a professional footballer, Joe Mercer joined Ellesmere Port as a teenager. He made a reputation on the turf in the 1930s and during the Second World War was a physical training instructor and participant in British Army football across Europe. Mercer won three championship medals, an FA Cup winners’ medal, as well as five full and 22 wartime international caps. He was voted Footballer of the Year in 1950 and awarded an OBE. The legacy of ‘Uncle’ Joe Mercer lies in how fondly and respectfully he is remembered by many in the sport.
<a class="postlink" href="http://shop.royalmail.com/remarkable-lives/remarkable-lives-stamp-set/invt/20140303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://shop.royalmail.com/remarkable-li ... t/20140303</a>

pity Royal Mail didn't include his winning our First Division title among his managerial achievements in their press release

Quite something for Joe to be Sport's sole representative. An omen indeed...

A great sportsman and a brilliant man. Deserved.

I remember when he took over at city, my dad was beside himself at the prospect of Joe being manager. Especially when Malcolm joined him. I was still young and didn't see what was coming , Dont suppose my dad expected quite what was to follow :)

Of course by 1968 on the odd occasion I did go to school it was with a right smug smile on my face.

Thanks Joe.

with de niro on this one, being a kid in school at that time was fantastic, maybe todays kids are about to feel how we felt, or should I say they already ARE starting to feel it

Joe (and Malc) made going to school on Monday mornings a pleasure (well almost).
Plenty of banter with the red half of the class with the blue half having the upper hand for a few years.
Often wondered what it would be like to go to school in a town with only one team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.