Joe Royle - has he been acknowledged enough?

butlerkb

In this period of comparing how resilient city have been, 2-0 down against gillingham, 2-1 down against QPR , 2-0 down against Villa, showcasing our never say die attitude, we have interviewed players from all eras and fans comments too, have we afforded Joe Royal the attention( interviews and invites back to the club etc. considering Gillingham , Blackburn etc.,?having played for the club and being manager in a massively instrumental era for City becoming what we are today, does he deserve more attention....everybody loved him at the time!

I loved joe when he was in charge, brought back some pride and dignity to the club after a few woeful years. Brought some exciting players such as mark Kennedy and Terry cooke, Darren Huckerby and Introduced swp. I think the season we got promoted back to the prem was a step to far in hindsight. I think we were riding on the crest of a wave after the previous year.

We lack quality and creativity in that first season and maybe he thought he could replicate his Everton dogs of war mentality which obviously failed miserably.

maybe it has something to do with the way he left the club and trying to sue the club that has left a bit of an after taste but I’m only guessing. Whatever happened shouldn’t detract from the magnificent job he did from dragging us by the bollocks and getting us back where we belong.

As another thread has been started I can’t believe it was 23 years ago at Wembley.!where does the time go. It’s easy to look back and say what a great day etc but it wasn’t really. Ok maybe the last few minutes after dickov scored and after penalties but the rest of it was awful.

Anyway top lad Joe and and thanks for giving us a city we can all be proud of.

ctid

Last edited:
Without Royle and Bernstein steadying the ship in our darkest hour we may have been languishing in the lower tiers for a long time, the city council might never have sanctioned the move to the Etihad and the subsequent investment might never have happened. I for one will be eternally grateful for what they did for our club

Gave us back our pride. Fan of our great club for well over fifty five years and their was never a team I felt more affinity with than the promotion sides of 99 and 2000. My second favourite manager behind Mancini made me fall back in love with City and stopped me feeling embarrassed to admit being a blue. Royle ended a long downward spiral and will always have my gratitude, without Joe Royle no Pep, without the play off no Premier league titles. Thanks Joe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.