John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our best performer at the world cup, one mistake aside he was outstanding.

His defending was on the front foot and aggressive for the entire tournament, like a Bonucci he is tailor made to play in the middle of a back 3. I hope he can transfer this new found confidence and even ability to our playing 2 cbs(assuming we still will). Think he blossomed as a defender in the last few weeks and was even superior than he was for us in the first half of last season. His reading of opponents was the most impressive, where in the past he'd back off until the opponent shot, here he threw himself at the opponent at the first opportunity with exemplary timing.

Maguire is getting all the plaudits from the casuals because of a few mazy runs and being dominant in the air but he couldn't hold a candle to Stones defensively in the tournament.

Lee Dixon annoyed me when he was talking about Stones during the Belgium game. He said he was playing well at the start of last season, but then couldn't really get in the team after that.

Considering he was injured in November and missed 12 games, I think he did alright.

Back to his best now, and will only improve under Pep. A great asset to the squad.

Thought he was outstanding in the WC but he will always be a central defender for me not a DM.

Lee Dixon annoyed me when he was talking about Stones during the Belgium game. He said he was playing well at the start of last season, but then couldn't really get in the team after that.

Considering he was injured in November and missed 12 games, I think he did alright.

Back to his best now, and will only improve under Pep. A great asset to the squad.

Which bit annoyed you? He was great at the start of last season, he did get injured. He came back and made about 4 mistakes in 4 games and lost his place a bit. Is the ignoring the injury bit the problem? Otherwise he had it spot on. Hopefully he gets back to that form of early last year where he was fantastic.

Which bit annoyed you? He was great at the start of last season, he did get injured. He came back and made about 4 mistakes in 4 games and lost his place a bit. Is the ignoring the injury bit the problem? Otherwise he had it spot on. Hopefully he gets back to that form of early last year where he was fantastic.
He was correct in what he said, but he failed to mention that he'd got injured, and made it sound like he just wasn't performing.

He was correct in what he said, but he failed to mention that he'd got injured, and made it sound like he just wasn't performing.

Fair dos, you’d expect a man being paid to talk about football will know that however I’d say to not be as sensitive at something as small as that, especially when it’s a city fan saying it. Will be one of the few times it’s not been said purposely.

Fair dos, you’d expect a man being paid to talk about football will know that however I’d say to not be as sensitive at something as small as that, especially when it’s a city fan saying it. Will be one of the few times it’s not been said purposely.

I just though that in context at the time, it sounded like a dig.

I'm over it now.

He's absolutely fucking class. My only concern was whether or not he was a bit mentally fragile but he's more than risen to the occasion and his command over those around him has shown that he has the confidence in himself as well as that of the team and coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.