Johnny Crossan

I was at that game at Huddersfield. 50,000 crammed into the old Leeds road stadium, not entirely safe! It was like a championship decider in our minds.
The attendance at Leeds Road shortly after the Swindon match was 14,405 according to this site.

It was much higher at 31,876 the following season when Huddersfield and City were fighting it out for promotion. It was 47,171 in the subsequent New Years Day match at Maine Road when Crossan and Doyle scored in a 2-0 win.

love to hear stories from before my time, my 1st game was december 67 but im always keen to hear about great games before 67/68
Thx. 65/66 was a great season, especially second half as City went past pace setters Huddersfield and Coventry to be promoted as champuons.

The attendance at Leeds Road shortly after the Swindon match was 14,405 according to this site.

It was much higher at 31,876 the following season when Huddersfield and City were fighting it out for promotion. It was 47,171 in the subsequent New Years Day match at Maine Road when Crossan and Doyle scored in a 2-0 win.
I was going to make the same point as I think he was confusing the two games.

The 14,405 v City was Huddersfield's biggest attendance in 64-65, yet just like City, their season was petering towards mid table mediocrity

Hardly a few players kept?

Dowd, Kennedy, Pardoe, Doyle, Oakes, Murray, Young, as well as Crossan continued to play regularly under Mercer.

Ok some had gone by the Championship winning season but so had Crossan.
How Many did they let go?

Very clever,skillful player and a good captain.

First saw him for Sunderland at Maine Road on a bone hard pitch when he and Dominic Sharky ? tore us apart with smart 1 /2 s round the box.

Very influential in our promotion season,kept the team ticking over and was always prepared to to put his foot in ....and leave it in !!

Think it was Johnny who got our equaliser at Blackpool in the FA Cup january 1966. Thousands of Blues on the open end going wild. In those days replays were during the following week so we played them on the Monday night. winning 3-1. Another 50000 gate. Malcolm's warning to Busby about us overtaking them were starting to bear fruition

my first city team,
seem to recall playing moscow dynamo with the great lev yashin in nets,i also recall the pitch invasion v southampton as we were promoted .
happy to be corrected as my memory isnt all that

We did indeed play Moscow Dynamo in a friendly that season. The Southampton home game was a bit of a damp squib, in that we were both promoted and we were champions, they runners-up. Oddly enough the first game of 66-67 we were at Southampton. I was there on one of Paddy's coaches. Any of you lads remember those days?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.