Jonny Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a ridiculous fee but then again what isnt these days. A player with huge experience at an age where he is entering peak years as a pro.

We have spent a fortune on our defence - mangala and stones both on their potential. Otamendi on a mix of reputation, potential and an "attractive" financial deal. Van Dijk is yet another signing on those lines. But for an outrageous fee.

Instead Evans represents more sensible business really. We know he can do it in the league and we know exactly what we are signing. Kompany was an underwhelming signing, pretty dross when he first played as a DM too. Equally zabaleta. Yet look what happened. Ask most city fans back then if they thought either would be City legends and helped the club to two league titles....

Need to be a lot less snobby when it comes to transfers. Our squad has won us the league and not our first 11. Dzeko...milner... we have lacked the same impact from our bench until this season.

Evans coming on late on would make me feel confident we could defend a lead. We now have such a strong bench and he adds cover.

18m is still crazy but keeps 42m available for someone else.
He was bloody brilliant at DM

Use youth instead spunking yet more money on an average squad player

I said we could do worse. Could also do a lot better i accept that. BUT if we are looking at 2 additional foreign players then our options for a 4th choice home grown centre back, ideally with experience and leadership qualities is extremely limited. If the homegrown element isn't an issue then probably would hope we would look elsewhere.
Well IF we sign him then it'll certainly be interesting to see who the two non homegrown Players are we bring in.
I've been mostly kidding with my comments on this thread but when it comes down to it I think the prices being discussed for a fairly average CB is a bit daft. I've always thought he was average tbf and I'm not sure a two year spell at West Brom has changed that opinion.
The next couple of weeks will be fun I think.

Somebody mentioned that loaned player they once had play for them that signed for us...
Cup your ear he was never a rag...

Would be a hell of a change in football style for him. After years of playing the Pulis way would he suddenly be able to receive the ball from Ederson and pass it around the back under pressure? Northern Ireland are not known for their sophisticated defensive passing patterns.

I just have an image of it being like the Peter Kay beer advert where he wellies it out of the ground and everyone just looks at him in an awkward silence.

Not everyone. But seemingly most. Im certainly biased as ive watched Evans close up playing for our national team. And he's a class act. Tho sadly injury prone and maybe too much of a risk with VK's troubles.
I couldn't give a shit how well he plays against Azerbaijan or New Zealand he's not good enough for a team challenging for the title and the CL

Nope. Not at all. The ridiculous hysteria over the potential signing of a squad player is what the bellend comment was aimed at.

And if we were getting him on a free I'd agree. But he is going to cost over £20 million if the reports are correct and spending so much on a very average player is well worth questioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.