Jonny Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's unthinkable to suggest that Guardiola hasn't personally approved of a move for Evans. Presumably he thinks that, for the budget we have remaining, Evans ticks a lot of boxes - homegrown, left sided, experienced, leadership qualities, familiar with the league etc.

Still seems expensive given his age, but in many regards it's a fairly pragmatic, if somewhat underwhelming, signing.

Given that we missed out on Mbappe and Sanchez looks increasingly unlikely, isn't our budget much bigger now?

Seriously does Pep or any fucker else see us winning the chumps league with a back line of Otamendi, Stones Johnny fucking Evans and an injury prone Vinny, left exposed due to our high line and our tactic of constant attack and forward play ?

All very odd not sure what he end game is at all with the defence.

It's unthinkable to suggest that Guardiola hasn't personally approved of a move for Evans. Presumably he thinks that, for the budget we have remaining, Evans ticks a lot of boxes - homegrown, left sided, experienced, leadership qualities, familiar with the league etc.

Still seems expensive given his age, but in many regards it's a fairly pragmatic, if somewhat underwhelming, signing.

underwhelm
ˌʌndəˈwɛlm/
verb
humorous
gerund or present participle: underwhelming
  1. fail to impress or make a positive impact on (someone); disappoint.

He who has never made an error in his life, please stand up. :-)

We are defined by our mistakes and how much we learn from them. Pellegrini was involved in the purchase of Mangala, Pep sent him on loan as soon as he arrived at the Etihad, that is learning by your mistakes. We made an honest error with Bravo, but are you saying we should have stuck with Hart? Have you seen how he's been performing recently?

Pep played Sane as a left wing back because Mendy is still out. He realised his error and so not to make that error again, he's now in for another left back to solve the problem, again learning from his mistakes. It will take him a season to get his philosophy across to the several new players we have and to settle on his tactics for this season, he now just needs to complete his purchases and decide on tactics going forward, I'm confident enough in him that he'll eventually get it right.

Of course all managers / directors of football make mistakes. However Txici has made quite a few regarding defenders since he arrived. Playing this current 3-5-2 system seems to exclude Sane and sterling from the side which takes a lot of our attacking threat away. I still dont think he has found his best team / system which I find frustrating. People say he is asking the players to play multiple systems and be flexible during the game. I would rather get a way of playing sorted first. As it looks like the players are unsure and its damaging their confidence.

The fans have spent the entire Summer arguing whether we need a central defender. If we want the option to play 3 at the back, we definitely need another central defender.

The question is do you buy a top class player like VVD or Edinson Sanchez, which would effectively demote Stones, or opt for a player like Evans who would probably accept being rotated alongside Kompany, Stones and Otamendi. I think it's a good idea to go for a squad player as I think Stones has a lot more to give. If we bought an Edinson Sanchez, we'd be effectively writing off yet another central defender after just one season, and it could damage them as a player which would be naturally bad for us.

I think City are paying over the odds, but that's our fault for leaving this late. What do the critics of Johnny Evans want us to do? Go into the new season with 3 experienced central defenders when we're playing 3-5-2 and just pray that all 3 play 60 plus games this season?

Of course all managers / directors of football make mistakes. However Txici has made quite a few regarding defenders since he arrived. Playing this current 3-5-2 system seems to exclude Sane and sterling from the side which takes a lot of our attacking threat away. I still dont think he has found his best team / system which I find frustrating. People say he is asking the players to play multiple systems and be flexible during the game. I would rather get a way of playing sorted first. As it looks like the players are unsure and its damaging their confidence.
  • You think Guardiola intended Sane to play that role so deep? I don't. Sane can learn how to play it. He's young
  • We wont play 3-5-2 all season.

The fans have spent the entire Summer arguing whether we need a central defender. If we want the option to play 3 at the back, we definitely need another central defender.

The question is do you buy a top class player like VVD or Edinson Sanchez, which would effectively demote Stones, or opt for a player like Evans who would probably accept being rotated alongside Kompany, Stones and Otamendi. I think it's a good idea to go for a squad player as I think Stones has a lot more to give. If we bought an Edinson Sanchez, we'd be effectively writing off yet another central defender after just one season, and it could damage them as a player which would be naturally bad for us.

I think City are paying over the odds, but that's our fault for leaving this late. What do the critics of Johnny Evans want us to do? Go into the new season with 3 experienced central defenders when we're playing 3-5-2 and just pray that all 3 play 60 plus games this season?

Personallt but the best and let stones worry about whether he gets playing time /demoted or not...stones is grwat with the balk but defensively he isnt where we need him to be...he may get there but if he doesnt someone better will replace him....peolle see him as a Pep project....i see him as just a player like others who shoukd have to fight for their place...if he is good enough he plays...if he aint he is on the bench

• You think Guardiola intended Sane to play that role so deep? I don't. Sane can learn how to play it. He's young
  • We wont play 3-5-2 all season.

The fact is sane is not a wing back and it wont do one of our best young talents much good. As I said, it seems Pep wants the players to be flexible in formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.