Jorginho

Status
Not open for further replies.
just got round to watching this ...what stood out as others pointed his arial passing . Will be useful vs liverpool beating the press hopefully

is that Fred who he tackles at 3:17 ?

Yea he would have had a field day in the 1st half vs Bournemouth at home. They had everyone behind the ball but held a very highline. They were begging for someone to clip the ball over but we never really took advantage of it

just got round to watching this ...what stood out as others pointed his arial passing . Will be useful vs liverpool beating the press hopefully

is that Fred who he tackles at 3:17 ?

One thing I noticed was he always tackled standing up which is what Guardiola encourages. His range of long passing is very KDB-esque too which would give us further options to unpick massed defences.

One thing I noticed was he always tackled standing up which is what Guardiola encourages. His range of long passing is very KDB-esque too which would give us further options to unpick massed defences.
Despite what Pep has said in the past (ahem), that is the one thing he does coach regarding tackling. The standing tackle, while seen as boring and “half-arsed” (at best) by most English spectators, is actually the most tactically advantageous method of winning back the ball because, even if you fail, you are still on your feet to recover and (at the very least) pressure the opposition player that still has the ball. It also allows players to hunt the ball in packs, even past first or second phases of play.

As soon as you leave your feet you have become a binary statistic (either having won the ball/given away a foul or taken yourself out of play completely) and if there is one thing Pep hates is a binary state—his ideal universe is the ‘infinite dimensions’ theory. ;-)

Jorginho also seems to have the Dinho ability of closing down channels, which is much more valuable than tackling, anyway. Good DMs win the ball back through high energy, aggressive tackling or interceptions as the ball is played. The great DMs stop the ball from being played in the first place by taking up positions that cut off passing channels and/or force the opposition to give away the ball themselves before it can be played to a teammate (press) or dribbled forward.

It’s the ironic bit of assessing the DM/CM position via statistics—often the players with the most tackles won/interceptions are good but not quite as good as the truly top echelon players in that position who can only really be assessed by watching them, since there are no “took up position that stopped a counterattack in its tracks because there was no where for the opposition player in possession of the ball to pass” or “pressed player in to making a bad pass which lead to turnover of possession” metrics... at least not yet—I have not gotten quite enough seed funding for my startup just yet.

News saying an official offer has been submitted - £45m on £4m salary......also news that we are in for Douglas Costa from calciomercato

Ancellotti as manager at Napoli

Despite what Pep has said in the past (ahem), that is the one thing he does coach regarding tackling. The standing tackle, while seen as boring and “half-arsed” (at best) by most English spectators, is actually the most tactically advantageous method of winning back the ball because, even if you fail, you are still on your feet to recover and (at the very least) pressure the opposition player that still has the ball. It also allows players to hunt the ball in packs, even past first or second phases of play.

As soon as you leave your feet you have become a binary statistic (either having won the ball/given away a foul or taken yourself out of play completely) and if there is one thing Pep hates is a binary state—his ideal universe is the ‘infinite dimensions’ theory. ;-)

Jorginho also seems to have the Dinho ability of closing down channels, which is much more valuable than tackling, anyway. Good DMs win the ball back through high energy, aggressive tackling or interceptions as the ball is played. The great DMs stop the ball from being played in the first place by taking up positions that cut off passing channels and/or force the opposition to give away the ball themselves before it can be played to a teammate (press) or dribbled forward.

It’s the ironic bit of assessing the DM/CM position via statistics—often the players with the most tackles won/interceptions are good but not quite as good as the truly top echelon players in that position who can only really be assessed by watching them, since there are no “took up position that stopped a counterattack in its tracks because there was no where for the opposition player in possession of the ball to pass” or “pressed player in to making a bad pass which lead to turnover of possession” metrics... at least not yet—I have not gotten quite enough seed funding for my startup just yet.
Brilliant assessment. Guardiola's effect on the psyche of English football will be revolutionary if our success continues. I have to admit, I'd never thought much about tackling until Guardiola mentioned it last year, but thinking about it, it made perfect sense as your post illustrates.

Guardiola is a proper manager, & it still shocks me that some of our less informed fans branded him as a fraud because we didn't win the quadruple in his first season.

I had my heart set on Fred & knew nothing about Jorginho in truth. However, I trust Guardiola's judgement implicitly & if he prefers Jorginho, I'm 100% behind his decision.

BUT Fred's statement today that his agent & Shakhtar have continued negotiations with City since January, has clouded Jorginho to City somewhat. Could it be beyond the realms if possibility that we're after both players considering Fernandinho's age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.