Jorginho

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you do in possession is a function of what you do out of possession. If a player constantly touches the ball 90 times regardless of the team he plays for, you can tell from inference, what he does our of possession.

If he tackles in average more than his teammates and players on similar teams at other clibs, you can infer from that what he does out of possession.

In analysis of game tapes, you can pause multiple frames to analyze what a player "not in possession is doing."

As for watching live, the atmosphere is nicer, especially if you are watching the club or country you support. And there is something to be said for being amongst kindred spirits.

But in terms of player or game analysis. Meh! It's more for public show than anything else. The real analysis is done pouring over statistics and analyzing films in dark backrooms.

Though I like your posts. And I think you have a good football knowledge,
Especially of players I don't have an idea about. If we were to watch a match while you would be making stats, I would be seeing 11 x 89 mins of what a player was doing out of possession.

That is why you would see Yata Toure completing 100 passes, while I would see the 2 times he let a midfielder run off him and create ir score a goal.

Two different methods of match analysis, the Sven or Guardiola way I guess,

Don't remember the last Italian who was successful in premier league, Heinze maybe
Honestly there's only one answer to this

GettyImages-130010419.jpg

Your conclusion that stats are not a good judge might be true. But tour reasons are probably wrong. It's simpler than that.

Possession reduces opportunity:

If you have the ball 65% of the time you simply have fewer opportunities to showcase your tackling and intercepting skills. Compared to someone who's team gas the ball 35% of the time.

That said, you can take teams at the upper end of possession and compare the stats of their players. As it suggests that disparity in opportunity is greatly reduced.This doesn't erase all the variables; nothing does. But you can make good assumptions by examining the stats in light of watching the players.
Frankly perusing statistical comparisons make you see better when you actually watch the players. You are less likely to overstate one great or terrible play, while understating 50 okay plays that have a greater overall effect.
I am an economist that manages a statistical (predictive) modelling and data analytics division.

Give me nearly any dataset, and what you would like it to indicate (within the context of the universe), and I can give you statistically significant/high confidence level findings (and dimension-based reports) that will demonstrate it... for a nominal fee, of course.

Statistics are a great tool, but they are (and should be) a single arrow in the quiver of assessment. I do agree that the analysis issue I raise *could* be partly due to the tactics employed, but I also touched upon the tactics that Pep prefers, which is to avoid the “last ditch tackle” scenarios altogether, hence why DMs that play within that sort of system often do not have as impressive statistics.

Pep has said many times that he welcomes performance analytics, and has encouraged the development of the “science”, but that it can be very difficult to accurately assess players within the context of quantitative measurement, for the reasons @asahartford1 has alluded to. Pep has always championed new, groundbreaking methods of qualitative assessment, which integrates data points with educated minds and/or algorithms for analysing overall player tendencies, strengths, weaknesses, and more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.