Jury service

Benarbia_is_god

Missus has just been called up for it. Anyone here done it and what were your experiences? Would love to do it one day, sound interesting!

I've done it once and was called up a second time (within 6 months) so was able to refuse.

Can't speak for everyone but my experience was a long, dull, boring affair.

You wait around in a room for hours on end and every now and again an official will come in and call out a group of names to go and sit in as a jury.

I seem to recall that if you hadn't been called by 2pm you were allowed to finish for the day. I got got called at 1:30pm on day 4, so 3.5 days wasted sat around with a bunch of strangers doing nothing.

When I finally got called I was shocked how quickly and easily some of the other jurors go straight for the guilty verdict without so much as the slightest discussion.

GaudinosWheels said:
When I finally got called I was shocked how quickly and easily some of the other jurors go straight for the guilty verdict without so much as the slightest discussion.

Like i've always maintained , what's the chances of a bunch of complete strangers , masquerading as a jury , getting the decision right every time ???

There must be loads of innocent people in jail.

GaudinosWheels said:
I've done it once and was called up a second time (within 6 months) so was able to refuse.

Can't speak for everyone but my experience was a long, dull, boring affair.

You wait around in a room for hours on end and every now and again an official will come in and call out a group of names to go and sit in as a jury.

I seem to recall that if you hadn't been called by 2pm you were allowed to finish for the day. I got got called at 1:30pm on day 4, so 3.5 days wasted sat around with a bunch of strangers doing nothing.

It's alot of that and if/when you finally get into court there's a very good chance that the case STILL won't make it to trial due to 'technicalities'.

Yep early 90's. Rape trial found him guilty. 2weeks in the Crown court. Wrong to say it was interesting I guess because of the nature of the case. It's strange in honesty. Judge'll tell you not to make any pre conceived ideas before you hear all the evidence. Of course you don't. Starts off 'Oh that fuckers guilty!' Next set of evidence...'Oh he didn't do it!' Then he did...........No he didn't.....he di............ Until you actually realise, you do need to wait. 7years he got.

BELLAMYS END said:
Did a 3 month trial, its fucking dull.

Fucking hell, how did that all work with your work life at the time? That's quarter of the year, hell of a large chunk to not be earning money!

Benarbia_is_god said:
BELLAMYS END said:
Did a 3 month trial, its fucking dull.

Fucking hell, how did that all work with your work life at the time? That's quarter of the year, hell of a large chunk to not be earning money!

You get expenses and they pay you what you would get from your work.

It was Ok I didn't have any commitments other than work when I did it so instead of going to Bolton every day I jumped onto a train to Manchester, in that respect it was ok, the actual jurying bit was awful, I did get through a lot of books though every cloud like.

I did it once a long, long time ago.

Sat around for two weeks apart from two brief trials that lasted less than half a day each.

Boring as fuck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.