Just two for me....

schfc6

I read everywhere that we are linked with all sorts of players, players with massive reputations, names that even a monkey could link the richest club to. Hulk, Drogba, Hazard, anyone really from Bale to Xavi. Without living in dream world and signing Messi, Iniesta & Ronaldo I think we only need these two. Iker Muniain & Javi Martínez.

Our side ended the season with great balance and a settled starting xi. I feel our strikers are good enough and if all four remain I can see better seasons from all of them. Those 4 are as good as any in the World (as a group) excluding Messi & Ronaldo. Midfield is strong, yet I feel the addition of Martinez a young, strong, powerful ball player would add depth and strength as well as cover for Ya Ya. Eventually being his successor.

Defensively we are as strong as any team on the planet and again Martinez would add much needed cover, and with the likely loss of Kolarov ( I'd keep him), Martinez would allow Lescott to be third choice left back behind Clichy and Zaba who has proven to as good on either flank. I think Martinez at his age yet with good experience,this is his second major tournament, and he has played in a top league and European competition for the best part of 5 years. He would be ideal for us.

I think at 19/20 Muniain would add pace and creativity, and would fit into our 4 2 3 1 formation, he could play comfortably as anyone of the 3 in behind, centrally or out wide. He adds a pace and a directness that Nasri & Silva don't and makes very intelligent runs in behind so he gives us our preferred ball to feet option plus an in behind option.

I would also like to see these two young players at City as I believe they would fit in well with our Spanish speaking forward line, and I believe Ya Ya can speak Spanish and I'm guessing Nasri can as he seems to get on very well with Sergio. They also come from a club with similar roots to City, perennial under dogs, passionate and long serving fans. I believe we could get these two in, and they would adapt quickly and would love the club as players like Hart, Richards, De Jong. Barry, Jolo, Vincent and Silva already do...

I don't believe we need to massively bolster our squad and another season behind the team, the experience & relief (weight off) of winning the league will see us much stronger and more confident next season. I see Muniain & Martinez to be the equivalent of signing 4 players.

If we sold Kolarov, Johnson, Adebayor & RSC I think in terms of finances we'd be almost square, gross spend to get the pair would be around £45 million but I guess we'd get circa £30 million for Ade, AK, AJ & RSC yet two young players wages should be less than those 4. Even at £100 k a week each which would quadruple their current wages we'd be considerably better off.
The squad would not be massive it would be a compact, hungry, talented, younger and in my opinion better than last season.

Thoughts...

football-manager-2012_14_pac_m_120113160937.jpg

Muniain looks a class player but from what I've seen he plays down the middle and has got real pace, similar to Nasri when played in his best position. I think we are crying out for some width for when Plan A isn't working though, especially as it looks like AJ is going to go this summer. The only player who springs to mind is Levezzi who was fantastic against us for Napoli, he is leaving there in the summer and I know Mancini loves him.

Javi Martinez looks decent but from what I've seen of him as a midfielder he's no better than what we've got. In the games I've seen him in midfield he actually reminds me of Michael Carrick, which is not a good thing! He sits quite deep and can pass a ball and loves spraying it wide. But he looks a bit pedestrian in midfield to be a really top player in the Prem. I've heard he's a world class centre half though so if he was bought with that in mind it might be a good shout. I've never seen him play there personally though.

Personally, if we are looking at a centre midfielder to challenge Barry and Yaya for a start I would go with Fellaini. He might not have Martinez range of passing, but he copes brilliantly with the pace of the premier league, can play as a sitting, central or attacking midfielder and is outstanding in each role. Especially if Moyles takes the Spurs job, which is rumoured, I think we could get him. Absolute class.

martinez yes, munian no (good player could be world class but got a severe attitude problem)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.