Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's essentially £40 million taking the £5 million for Gyabi into account. No complaints at all.

We probably could have got him for under £40m but the Gyabi deal allows for clever accounting. Like the Cancelo-Danilo deal.

I know that The Athletic doesn’t have a great reputation with City fans. But wasn't Ornstein saying that the Haaland "unveiling" was imminent? And it happened very shortly afterwards. Does he have pretty good connections inside the club, or is he a chancer who got lucky with the Haaland call?
Ornstein is pretty reliable normally. Has good sources

I know that The Athletic doesn’t have a great reputation with City fans. But wasn't Ornstein saying that the Haaland "unveiling" was imminent? And it happened very shortly afterwards. Does he have pretty good connections inside the club, or is he a chancer who got lucky with the Haaland call?

Just wish they got rid of the fanzine writers - some of them are ridiculous and childish. They have some really good journos but it spoils it.

What's not to like, really?

'Competition' for Rodri seems a disservice to Phillips as I think he can at the least challenge Rodri for the starting spot. Great lad from a great family, works hard, decent fee, etc.

The only concern is him needing to go under the knife for his hamstring imo.
He's a good player, and a decent addition to the squad. But he's nowhere near Rodri's level, let's be honest. He'll play in the domestic cup games and some of the "easier/less difficult" PL games to give Rodri the occasional rest. And, of course, he'll cover Rodri for the inevitable suspensions a DM can attract.

He won't be playing back up to rodri. Yes he will fill in for rodri as a single pivot when rodri is rested from time to time, but I suspect that he will play in a double pivot alongside home a fair bit. With potentially less out and out wingers next season and cucurella and haaland coming in I suspect we will be playing a 4231 with the fullbacks pushing up more.

He helps lessen the burden on all midfielders, not just rodri.

Never been that convinced with Phillips, for England in particular he always seems to hide from the ball.

As a squad player though it obviously makes us stronger, as we need the depth to compete on 4 fronts. Hopefully he kicks on a level.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.