Kalvin Phillips

With such a short turnaround until the start of next season it wouldn't surprise me to see Phillips and Kovacic starting at the beginning, so it's up to him to take his chance.
I can see that as well but such a set up requires someone at the back to come through and dominate in the air in the middle and for those two to win any second balls. If they don't win those, then we have a defender out of position and opposition attackers in behind us up against the remaining two defenders who will likely be sitting wider.

The one thing he might have in his favour is that so many of Pep's signings often need a season to acclimatise to his way of understanding our game. He's had his year, now he's got to kick on if he doesn't want to be moved on before the window close.

The one thing he might have in his favour is that so many of Pep's signings often need a season to acclimatise to his way of understanding our game. He's had his year, now he's got to kick on if he doesn't want to be moved on before the window close.
If he stays let’s hope he can start the new season at the correct weight.

Yeah but most of them still played quite a lot whilst getting to grips with it. He didn’t. I can’t see it with him but you never know.

I did want to see Phillips to be given another crack however the Rice signing does kill off any chances (unless Rice really ends up at Arsenal or Gvardiol deal doesn't happen at all) of a revival.

Seems like a lovely bloke and I appreciate his determination to try to prove himself, but his lack of game-time last season worries me.

Learning what Pep wants in training is one thing, but it's time on the pitch trying to implement it that really drives home those lessons.

He hasn't really had any significant time to do that, and it's hard to envisage when he's likely to.

Seems like a lovely bloke and I appreciate his determination to try to prove himself, but his lack of game-time last season worries me.

Learning what Pep wants in training is one thing, but it's time on the pitch trying to implement it that really drives home those lessons.

He hasn't really had any significant time to do that, and it's hard to envisage when he's likely to.

If Rice and Gvardiol are signed, he'll move. They are obviously better options. If not, we may well need him. I'm not prepared to write him off out of hand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.