Kazimierz Deyna

Could put that result up as one of the best we ever achieved in that era still hear us singing there’s only one kazu Deyna loudest song for one player in the Kippax ever except for the kings Boxing Day return …. Same as you was buzzing for weeks after
Glad the Deyna inspired win over Forest is remembered. It really was a typical City shock result.Nobody saw it coming ,least of all me,listening to events relayed by radio 2 on my transistor radio, I think I actually froze in disbelief when the goal was reported , completely shocked me, a City daft teenager living in ...Nottingham! I was so happy,about as happy when via the same radio I heard we'd put 4 past Chelsea AWAY at Stamford Bridge, Ron Futcher hat trick...at a time when our team couldn't string two wins together, and virtually never won away from home
Going back to the Forest match it's great to hear you mention the Kippax sung Deynas name loudly for a long time after the goal,atmosphere must have been mint.

Last edited:
Wasn’t Deyna voted player of the tournament in the World Cup prior to signing for City.

I remember thinking that he played like Colin Bell,so effortless and classy.
Praise indeed. I'd say it was one of the most exciting signings in our history. As a teenager blue , out of town, relying on newspapers for every scrap of detail about my team....to see the words World Cup and City in the same sentence was mind boggling. I can still remember the 1978 WC Panini football stickers with Deyna in the Poland section. His stats were bloody good. It was an exciting time I was intrigued.

I note that you say he played liked Colin Bell, so effortlessly and classy.
That one view ...gives me an insight into how good a player he was before he got weighed down in Maine rd drama....
Scoring the solitary goal away at Leeds , the most violent ground to visit at the time, and scoring the winner against The Champions. of Europe at Maine rd, who'd not been beaten for 30 odd matches..
Deyna, even in his past his best years, still obviously left a mark on Blues who were watching him at the time. That's class.

Last edited:
Glad the Deyna inspired win over Forest is remembered. It really was a typical City shock result.Nobody saw it coming ,least of all me,listening to events relayed by radio 2 on my transistor radio, I think I actually froze in disbelief when the goal was reported , completely shocked me, a City daft teenager living in ...Nottingham! I was so happy,about as happy when via the same radio I heard we'd put 4 past Chelsea AWAY at Stamford Bridge, Ron Futcher hat trick...at a time when our team couldn't string two wins together, and virtually never won away from home
Going back go the Forest match it's great to hear you mention the Kippax sung Deynas name loudly for a long time after the goal,atmosphere must have been mint.
I was in Spain with my mum and brother (no idea why dad wasn’t there). It was in the autumn. Found out in the paper I think. Next day most likely. Remember reading the article over and over. It said the atmosphere was mint!

Edit: Just looked it up and there were 41,000 there, which according to the laws of Swalesanomics is about 50,000!

Pretty bold statement that might have had some validity prior to 2010. In my opinion a best ever City team, ten out of the eleven will have played in the last decade.
I was about 12 He got 10 out of 10 in the Sunday mirror or people ratings for a game I had watched the previous day.
The day he took Bristol City apart on virtually his own and gained a life long fan. He should have played more but for Allison

My memory of watching him, albeit as a young kid, is that Deyna was clearly a high-class player but was past his best when he came to us. He struggled at first with the pace of the English game when we played him in the centre of midfield, and his best moments came when Mal switched him up front in 1979/80.

However, by then we'd sold nearly all the quality players we had, and, as the Stoke manager Alan Durban commented, the problem for City was that Deyna was simply on a different wavelength to the rest of the players. My old man said the same thing, comparing the situation to that of the young Denis Law in his first spell at Maine Road, when he was simply too good for nearly all of the rest of our team.

Also, there wasn't just an away friendly that was part of the deal with Legia Warsaw for Deyna. There was a home one, too, which was delayed from the original planned date and was eventually played as a pre-season match in August 1980. Anyone else remember it?

We were battered, really outclassed. At 5-0 down, the Kippax started cheering on Legia, doing the 'ole' thing as they knocked the ball around and booing if City got it back again. Kevin Reeves scored our consolation near the end against a backdrop of chants of, "We want six! We want six!" The exaggeratedly wild celebrations after Reeves's strike were intended as an absolute piss-take.

You could tell from that display we were in big trouble for the start of the forthcoming season, and we were beaten easily at Southampton four days later before losing 4-0 at home to newly promoted Sunderland the following midweek. I remember the Legia match quite clearly because it was the first time I'd seen the City crowd turn on the team like that.
Remember it well. I was also there with the old man

I was about 12 He got 10 out of 10 in the Sunday mirror or people ratings for a game I had watched the previous day.
The day he took Bristol City apart on virtually his own and gained a life long fan. He should have played more but for Allison
I didn’t go to the Bristol game but I distinctly remember photos of the goals being in the match day programme for the next game, against Ipswich, which as I posted earlier was the final game of the 1979/80 season.

I seem to recall Deyna rounding the Bristol keeper for one of the goals?

He would have fared much better twenty or so years later.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.