Keep Calm and...

stony said:
WW2 slogan that was resurrected by arguably the best book shop in the country, Barter books in Alnwick.
I WANT THIS IN BIG BOLD BLUE LETTERS.

tumblr_lj5dtuu9AV1qcrxigo1_400.jpg

Loved it at first. Seen the slogan at the Etihad and wanted a "Keep Calm and Pass To Silva" t-shirt.. But good God now it's everywhere and I'm glad I never got the shirt.<br /><br />-- Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:39 pm --<br /><br />
gaudinho's stolen car said:

This is amazing. I want one!

stony said:
WW2 slogan that was resurrected by arguably the best book shop in the country, Barter books in Alnwick.

it was on tv recently. apparently they got a box full of different original ww2 posters from somewhere including about 50 of the 'keep calm and carry on' type. this was meant for use if the country was invaded but was never distributed so originals are worth thousands.

From Charlie Brooker:

1 Stop creating "Keep Calm and Carry On" variants

The original wartime Keep Calm and Carry On poster, rediscovered more than 10 years ago by the owner of Alnwick's Barter Books and digitally touched up by Chris Donald, erstwhile editor of Viz, is an amusing yet poignant instant design classic. It belongs on a poster, or a mug, or a tea towel sold by Barter Books. But not on a packet of condoms or a soft drink. Or a cushion. Or engraved on your baby's face. Every bastard's churning out "Keep Calm" merchandise these days. Check your attic. Someone's probably up there screen printing it on to a hammock right now. Moneygrabbers with no right to the "Keep Calm" phrase (and no connection to Barter Books) have attempted to trademark it. And at the time of writing, Britain's bestselling iPhone app is a widget that lets you create your own zany version of the poster, so it reads "Keep Calm and LOL Kittens!!!!" or something similarly anti-hilarious. It doesn't even use the right font. It's time we, as a species, ceased to be impressed by this sort of thing. We're better than that. We are.

Apparently, it was never actually never used as a slogan during the war, It was designed for WHEN the germans invaded to keep the nation panic free, but thanks to the brave public school boys and Polish fighter pilots the germans obviously never made it here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.