Keiren Westwood

George Hannah

Good keeper Keiren, Republic of Ireland number one not so long ago and not getting a game behind Mignolet at Sunderland. I'm sure we can provide loan inducements for them to part with him. Crucially he is City trained. Costel should make Wembley his swan song and move to Fiorentina where he says he'd love to be leaving us with a place in the squad for another foreign Galactico!
The saviour! He nearly became a policeman but now Westwood is Ireland's goalkeeping hero

By Colin Young: 28 March 2011

Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Keiren Westwood stopped nearly everything that came his way in his side's 2-1 win over Macedonia in Dublin on Saturday night. So . . .
Who is the new hero of Dublin between the sticks?
With Shay Given out, Republic manager Giovanni Trapattoni gave Coventry No 1 Westwood his sixth cap. The Italian didn't regret the decision. The keeper was helpless for the visitors' goal but did everything else right and one late save won the match for Ireland.
It seems like he is pretty good?
Well, Everton, Wolves, Newcastle and Celtic clearly think so - they all have him on their radar. The 26-year-old is out of contract in the summer so he should be appearing for a Barclays Premier League club near you soon.

Keeping it out: Keiren Westwood denies Ivan Trickovski in the dying moments of the match
But isn't he Manchester-born? What is his Irish background?
Westwood qualified through his grandparents Lawrence and Mary, who originate from Wexford. Both died within the last two years so Saturday was a very emotional occasion for the stopper.
'They were just brilliant people,' Westwood told Sportsmail. 'It has been really tough losing them, one after the other.
'They were a massive influence on my life when I was growing up and always there for me. I wanted to play for Ireland for them since I was a kid. Before every game, I have a quiet moment under the towel on the penalty spot to think about them. This was for them.'

Twist of fate: Westwood was close to joining the police force before signing for Carlisle
What's his story?
Rejected as a boy by Manchester United, he spent three years at his beloved Manchester City before they too chucked him out at 19, just weeks after he broke his hand on loan at Oldham.
'As a City fan, I was star-struck,' he said. 'But getting released was the best thing that happened to me and I vowed never to be intimidated again.'
The scrapheap, and police force beckoned, however.
So, he could have been PC Westwood?
Trials at Bradford and Accrington were unsuccessful.
'I played in a testimonial game for an All Star team against Stanley and Everton legends Dave Watson and Neville Southall were the centre backs! We got absolutely pummelled but I was on fire. The manager asked me to play in the next friendly but when I got there, there were two keepers and no kit for me. I left that day.'
Westwood was filling in the application to join the police force when former City coach Andy Rhodes contacted him.
And what happened next?
'Rhodesy rang and said, "Can you get yourself up to Carlisle?" ' recalls Westwood.
'I drove straight up and trained immediately and I have never trained so badly. Dennis Booth was Paul Simpson's assistant, and I said, "I've had a shocker" but he replied, "Nah, you were all right".
'I looked up at him and we both started laughing. He said, "Come tomorrow and play in the game, see how you go". I played against Barrow, did quite well, and (Carlisle manager) Paul Simpson asked me to sign.'
So, he was noticed at Carlisle?
Westwood played for the Cumbrian side for four years, winning two successive promotions, and his first Ireland call-up before a move to Coventry.
He was in the Championship team of the season last year.
And his performance on Saturday ensured it was a good weekend for Ireland?

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1370525/Ireland-2-Macedonia-1-Keiren-Westwood-nearly-policeman.html#ixzz2S7TOVU8Z" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z2S7TOVU8Z</a>
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Hes one of my mates son, he got offered the chance to be joes understudy a couple of years ago but was promised to be sunderlands no 1. but a change of manager (O'neal) changed that. and to be fair Mignolet has played well for them. Not sure if he would come now i think he has somewhere lined up for the summer

modgeblue said:
Hes one of my mates son, he got offered the chance to be joes understudy a couple of years ago but was promised to be sunderlands no 1. but a change of manager (O'neal) changed that. and to be fair Mignolet has played well for them. Not sure if he would come now i think he has somewhere lined up for the summer
I think you should have a word with your mate and tell him to get his lad to phone Cheeky. Keiren is 28 now and City won't ask twice, it's a win win!

modgeblue said:
quick get on the phone modgeblue!!!

Costel Pantilimon prepares to bow out from Manchester City after FA Cup final

TIM RICH WEDNESDAY 08 MAY 2013

The FA Cup final is likely to be Costel Pantilimon's last game for Manchester City. The club's No 2 keeper, who will replace Joe Hart for the showpiece against Wigan on Saturday, feels that at 26 he needs to find a team where he is first choice.

"I am happy here but it is normal that I want to play regularly," he said. "The technical staff knows that after the season is finished I want to leave. Those discussions will come after the season. I don't know if Saturday will be my last game; it depends on what happens."

Despite conceding only one goal in Manchester City's run to the FA Cup final, Pantilimon has lost his place as Romania's first-choice keeper and has been urged by the country's manager, Victor Piturca, to find more regular football.

Although Pantilimon's club manager, Roberto Mancini, guaranteed him a starting role in Manchester City's domestic cup fixtures this season, he has yet to play a Premier League game.

"The manager of the national team tells me every time I speak to him: 'Please try to play more'," Pantilimon said. "It is important for my country as well as my career. I am young – not 35 and waiting to finish. My agent will discuss it with the manager and we will see what happens."

Nevertheless, Pantilimon said he had no regrets about signing a contract that has three years still to run, after coming to Eastlands from Politehnica Timisoara in 2011. "You get one chance and when a club like Manchester City wants you, you have to take it," he said. "I knew Joe was a very good keeper, the England No 1. I took the risk because it was an opportunity to be at a top club.

"I still think it was a good choice. I have been waiting for my chance and now I am in an FA Cup final."

ill send him a text !!<br /><br />-- Wed May 08, 2013 9:37 pm --<br /><br />ill send him a text !!

What about Wayne Hennessey? I'm pretty sure he would comply as club grown, he is a decent keeper too

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.