Keiren Westwood

nowantads said:
Are we looking to replace hart? Our two big target valdes and caballero aren't bench warmer. I really don't believe in this 'competition' thing, especially if we pay 15-20m for caballero. Seriously, which club has 2 great keepers contend to 'compete' for number one spot?

Anyway any other possible target? It's weird, as if city couldnt bother to look for a new gk.

Real Madrid

nowantads said:
Are we looking to replace hart? Our two big target valdes and caballero aren't bench warmer. I really don't believe in this 'competition' thing, especially if we pay 15-20m for caballero. Seriously, which club has 2 great keepers contend to 'compete' for number one spot?

Caballero wouldn't cost anything close to that. Malaga would take <£8m for him I'm pretty sure. They are now a selling club and budge on release clauses with several recent examples (Cazorla - £36m release clause, sold to Arsenal for £15m-ish). And Caballero said he would 'have to think about joining Barca' if they called (<a class="postlink" href="http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11833/9323180/transfer-news-malaga-keeper-willy-caballero-continues-to-be-linked-with-barcelona" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... -barcelona</a>), even knowing they had signed a new number one (Ter Stegen) so at almost 33 may be willing to start as a #2 somewhere. Plus he has an excellent working relationship with Pellegrini.

Two quality goalkeepers? Barcelona just signed Ter Stegen, the best keeper in Germany not named Neuer, and about to sign Claudio Bravo, one of the best keepers in La Liga last year who is starting for Chile at the WC. Real have Casillas and Lopez. Bayern just allegedly made a bid for the best young goalkeeper in Italy, Mattia Perin (in Italy's World Cup squad), to challenge Neuer.

I really do like Joe but do not think he is so great that he should be left unchallenged and comfortable as #1. However, when fully focused and determined he is a very good goalkeeper. But to keep him fully focused and determined, he should be in a constant fight for his place IMO. Not just that, he should always be motivated to improve because he is far from the finished product and should not be allowed to feel like he's done enough.

It'd be good if there was a quality English/British keeper in the 29-34 age group to challenge him, but I don't think there is. The Cardiff keeper may be the closest thing, not sure how much he'd cost.

SrilankanBlue said:
nowantads said:

Anyway any other possible target? It's weird, as if city couldnt bother to look for a new gk.

Real Madrid

Chelsea soon.

Let's not forget what happened to Hart last term with Pantillimon taking over for a long period. He did great and I wouldn't want us to have just a back-up goallie if Hart has another downer or injury. IF we want someone to stand in for just the one game, we have a 3rd choice for that. 2 keepers must be challenging all the time and I'm sure it's what Hart wants as well.

Remember Westwood having a really good run a couple of seasons back for Sunderland. A sensible addition, not just about ability but also about the team. Can't see why people would want to slag him or the club off for this move, not nearly as bad as some would have us believe.

Sure, we would like two top quality players competing for every position but for a GK that is very hard to achieve and, arguably (along with the back 4, certainly 2 CBs), potentially counter productive to be swapping each game as we do with some other positions. Real have two top 'keepers because Casillias won't leave Real, and I woudl suggest he has lost a lot of form too over the past couple of years. Chelsea bought a great prospect who is now coming good, but keeping Cech and Courtois happy for a prolonged period just will not happen - one will leave, or Cech will move gracefully to backup choice and accept it.

So, basically, the way to do it is to sign a backup or youth goalie who comes good and then hope you can hang on to them for a while. That is what we had with Shay Given when Joe Hart came through, and put us in a very strong position in that area, but it didn't last as everyone wants to play.

I would not be surprised at all to see us now move to pick up a young keeper. We can't offer such a player a crack at the first team this year, but we will want such a player on our books. Ideally English, but does not have to be, and gets it done cheaper too - anyway, the UEFA restrictions will be lifted soon enough.

nowantads said:

It is weird isn't it though?

It's almost as if City couldn't be bothered in keeping us up to date on here on their plans or how far along they are with them. Just weird.

If we're gonna sign a foreign keeper, Guillermo Ochoa is available on a free. Anyone seen his performances in Mexico's two world cup games? He's been immense.

I think Westwood is of high enough calibre to be our No. 2 though.

The keepers situation I guess is always going to be hard as unlike other positions rotation is hard. I think if we sign Westwood he would be happy to play back up to Joe. If we sign a international keeper they would be reluctant to play back up to Joe. Who knows what the coaches and MP think of what's coming up from the youth level that they have high hopes for to replaceJoe long term. Risky business some might think but honestly think jJoe knows he isn't bullet proof.

ColinLee said:
nowantads said:
It's weird, as if city couldn't bother to look for a new gk
It is weird isn't it though? It's almost as if City couldn't be bothered in keeping us up to date on here on their plans or how far along they are with them. Just weird.
I agree, so much they could learn about so many things on here and they are clearly ignoring us

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.