Kids toys you don't see anymore.

dbiycz1-b6cf6918-7da1-41bd-b670-b70b4a972579.gif

It would appear that it is still there , and still open, although apparently it's known as Broadway Leisure Centre now .... Manchester city council were after closing it in 2014, but it seems to have survived, even prospered ..... it looks like one of the original pools was removed, and replaced by a Gym, during the refurbishment/remodelling of the place by Serco leisure limited ... but the exterior facade of the buliding seems pretty much the same.

View attachment 3916View attachment 3918View attachment 3921
Wow. We used to go there in the 70's. I bet they still put ice cubes in the water.

Did any of you lot ever make a "throwing arrow"? My dad showed me how to make one when I was a kid and wow they were amazing.

Take a garden cane maybe 3 feet long, whack a 6 inch nail in one end and tape it up. Put 2 cross slits in the other end end two interlocking pieces of cardboard to make a tail flight. And then take a 4 ft piece of string and tie a big knot in one end. Wrap the end of the string with the knot in it around the cane near the tail end, just once, held against a knot in the cane, and run the string down to the nail end and wrap the rest around your fingers. Hold the arrow at the nail end whilst holding the string.

Now throw the arrow, tail first whilst hanging on the string. It launches into the air and you get a whiplash effect from the string before the know releases the arrow.

And it flies for about 2 miles. Or at least that's how it seems when you are a kid. We used to stand at the top of torky park in Hazel Grove and lob them over the stream towards the offices beyond. Would have bloody killed someone had we ever hit them. Madness, but incredibly good for when you are 12.
We used to screw dart tips on the end and football cards for flights.
I seem to remember seeing one that was made out of machined aluminium in the St. Johns ambulance room at Maine rd.

slot-car racing had a bit of boom in the early seventies
with magazines and following the american trend of having pay-to-race tracks in bowling alleys. The old cinema that had the Whisky-a-go-go and a night club had the biggest track in england 8 lane 280 feet and a seventy degree banking. And it all fizzled out in england but germany still has clubs ....
There’s a 8 lane track in Marple mill.

Been a couple of times, really good, has starting lights with Murray Walker voiceover, electronic times. You need about 16 people - 8 to race, and 8 stationed around track to put cars back on!

Wow. We used to go there in the 70's. I bet they still put ice cubes in the water.

Lol , it wouldn't surprise me !

Broadway Leisure Centre is still advertised as being one of their leisure centres on the Manchester City Council website , yet appears to be managed by an external outfit named 'Broadway Community Development Group' .... but , either way, it does appear to still be in use .... like i say the council were apparently after closing it six years ago, but there was plenty of local opposition to the closure plan , and maybe some kind of deal, or agreement, with another interested party was struck.

Yeah, very few things in life stay the same mate ...... i live in a conservation area , very close to the city centre and a gentleman by name of Vincent Kompany is currently having his brand new luxury apartment block being built right opposite my living room window!

The contractors have just erected the outer structure, or shell, of the new building ....

I live to the right on this photo , behind the trees, and the tall windowed block directly opposite , next to the mustard tree charity, are what Vinny , and his associates, are having putting up!

And there's a derelict pub right next to them on the far side of his new building , which is about to undergo a major refurbishment and re-opening.

vk flats .jpgvinny .jpg

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.