Kinkladze - just how good was he?

He was the one bright spark in a dismal team. A goal at Oxford on a Sunday afternoon stands out in my mind. But there were a few like that.

Lacked the work ethic and professionalism to ever be classed as a top player though.

And a borderline nonce.

A man of his talent in today's Barcelona's academy with the best training methods could be one of the world's great playmakers... if his attitude was a little better. His laziness might not have gone down well at a top club.

Wretched Vengeance said:
black mamba said:
He possessed all the skill in the world ... never really a 'battler' , but still a player of immense ability , although for some reason he never quite realised his full potential , and his spell at City was probably the best he enjoyed in his career.

A wasted talent really , but unforgettable ...

from wiki ...

In an interview in August 2007 Kinkladze's former international team-mate Malkhaz Asatiani confirmed that Kinkladze had finished his career and settled in Moscow. Kinkladze later worked as a sports agent, and in August 2011 returned to his former club Anorthosis, where he was employed as Sports Director until an amicable departure in June 2012

4j3ozb.jpg

Fantastic player. Will always be remembered....Always.
I was going to name my daughter Kinky, the Southampton goal if nothing

andyhinch said:
Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Hard this one, but I'm sure he could do a job for us now (Sub for Nasri)(or)(Silva when injured or needed resting), very left footed though! We have to move on from the past. David Whites pace would destroy any current fullback in the Premier league, not sure he's as fast as bale or lennon but there again he may have been faster. Different age and times!
It's hard to compare then an now

I totally agree

Yeah agreed it is hard to compare eras.

I just know that he was our star when I first started following the club and he will always have a special place in my memory. (Always remember your first, right?)

I don't think we've had a guy since that had me on the edge of my seat automatically like Kinky did if he had it in the other side's half. You just never knew when Kinky was just going to go on a crazy run and do (or come close to doing) something awesome.

How good was he? too good for us at the time, apparently we had the option of Figo or Kinky and we chose Kinky. Iv'e always wondered if we'd have gone for Figo, would he of gone on to have a great career?

Paul11/12 said:
How good was he? too good for us at the time, apparently we had the option of Figo or Kinky and we chose Kinky. Iv'e always wondered if we'd have gone for Figo, would he of gone on to have a great career?
The answer would be no, in my opinion. He dodged a bullet there. Horton wasn't it who had been linked with him? Like Blackburn and Zidane. Had either made the move they could have easily become bogged down in an average team and their full potential never realised.
As for kinky. A top player and a highlight in a pretty poor era, though when he made the step up to Ajax he was left floundering. Was pretty sad in the end to see him putting in average performances for Derby.
Bumped into him in St Anne's square once and was surprised at how stocky he was.
Anyone remember 'Juninho v Kinkladze'? Dec 95 at the riverside. Minus 3 throughout the entire match.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.