Kinkladze vs Benarbia vs Silva

LadislavMplmx said:
eastmanc said:
To say Kinky wouldn't get in our squad now is just ridiculous, is he not better than the likes of Navas, Milner, Nasri, Jovetic, Fernando,of course he is. One of the most talented players to grace our great club and in my opinIon the most skilful I have seen since first watching City in 1973.
all the players you named have played at the very top against the very best,he was more accostomed to the likes of Bury&Swindon...no one ever comes up with a realistic reason as to why a top PL club never came in for him...he was there for all to see afterall....any top player at their peak leaves the Dutch league...not the other way round....
I'm pretty sure Ajax were a top club in 98 having won the Champs League a few seasons earlier and they were looking at Kinky to replace Litmanen who ended up staying anyway. Plus the guy who signed him got the boot early on in his first season. Ajax were a huge step up compared to us and to most of the teams in our league
As for why no other Prem clubs bought him...not sure.

ballbag said:
LadislavMplmx said:
eastmanc said:
To say Kinky wouldn't get in our squad now is just ridiculous, is he not better than the likes of Navas, Milner, Nasri, Jovetic, Fernando,of course he is. One of the most talented players to grace our great club and in my opinIon the most skilful I have seen since first watching City in 1973.
all the players you named have played at the very top against the very best,he was more accostomed to the likes of Bury&Swindon...no one ever comes up with a realistic reason as to why a top PL club never came in for him...he was there for all to see afterall....any top player at their peak leaves the Dutch league...not the other way round....
I'm pretty sure Ajax were a top club in 98 having won the Champs League a few seasons earlier and they were looking at Kinky to replace Litmanen who ended up staying anyway. Plus the guy who signed him got the boot early on in his first season. Ajax were a huge step up compared to us and to most of the teams in our league
How many other 'top' players have they actually signed over the years? it doesn't happen......Bolton had a player similar to Kinkladze at the time,can't remember his name...scored a great goal at Chelsea(when they were probably about 3-0 down)think he went to Villa...i've no doubt some of their more biased fans think he was up there with Messi ;)

Of the players named, my vote goes to Silva. This is fully backed up by our trophy count of which he has been an integral part. Kinky, sad to say, has to go down as a one season wonder and although the pour quality of the squad did not help, it is crucial to remember that his performances never returned to their past levels once he left for Ajax and he just drifted out of the game after that. Ali B was one of everyone's favourite players and how could he not be, but again he was only with us in a meaningful way for the one season when out of the Premier League, and by the time we were back at the top, his career was as good as over through age. We can only dream of how it may have been if he had arrived here ten years earlier, but he hadn't and we only had the one season to guage him on and to dream. So on that assessment, I can only say what I saw and my vote just has to go to Merlin.

ballbag said:
LadislavMplmx said:
eastmanc said:

They had contested 2 of the previous 4 finals, . Reached the semi-finals the previous year to Kinky signing and won the league and cup double. They were a massive step up and were one of the top 3/4 clubs in Europe at the time. It was a massive step up in comparison to any club in England. Players such at the De Boer brothers, Litmanen, Laudrup, Van der Sar were all there.

It speaks volumes about his standing that a player can be relegated from a first division side and yet still attract interest from such a top club.
The facts are there but yet for some instead of enjoying the thread and reminiscing in the memories of these three great players it seems more important to denigrate the memory.

franksinatra said:
ballbag said:
LadislavMplmx said:

They had contested 2 of the previous 4 finals, . Reached the semi-finals the previous year to Kinky signing and won the league and cup double. They were a massive step up and were one of the top 3/4 clubs in Europe at the time. It was a massive step up in comparison to any club in England. Players such at the De Boer brothers, Litmanen, Laudrup, Van der Sar were all there.

It speaks volumes about his standing that a player can be relegated from a first division side and yet still attract interest from such a top club.
The facts are there but yet for some instead of enjoying the thread and reminiscing in the memories of these three great players it seems more important to denigrate the memory.

What you have to remember about Kinky is that he came from a very poor country where life was pretty tough and he was dropped in to life in England with loads of cash and in a football club that was very badly run, he was surrounded by halfwits and boozers and that was just the coaching staff. I don’t think he was ever really encouraged to sort his life out of the field and become a serious dedicated professional.

The Ajax move was a disaster as he never adjusted to the culture of the place and with an apparent lack of discipline / dedication and a language barrier it fell apart pretty quickly. I had a mate involved with Derby who got to know him when he was there and he turned up at least a stone over weight and more like 2 stone overweight and with a very bad reputation as a professional. I can’t help but think that the mess at City had a big impact on his latter career. You wonder what he would of become with the likes of Mancini / Pellers / Viera in the coaching set up telling him to sort himself out and playing in a squad full of top level / serious dedicated professionals.

Gaudion M said:
franksinatra said:
ballbag said:

What you have to remember about Kinky is that he came from a very poor country where life was pretty tough and he was dropped in to life in England with loads of cash and in a football club that was very badly run, he was surrounded by halfwits and boozers and that was just the coaching staff. I don’t think he was ever really encouraged to sort his life out of the field and become a serious dedicated professional.

The Ajax move was a disaster as he never adjusted to the culture of the place and with an apparent lack of discipline / dedication and a language barrier it fell apart pretty quickly. I had a mate involved with Derby who got to know him when he was there and he turned up at least a stone over weight and more like 2 stone overweight and with a very bad reputation as a professional. I can’t help but think that the mess at City had a big impact on his latter career. You wonder what he would of become with the likes of Mancini / Pellers / Viera in the coaching set up telling him to sort himself out and playing in a squad full of top level / serious dedicated professionals.

Completely agree with all of that. I mentioned it earlier but if you factor in his upbringing in Georgia, his friends and teammates being killed in the not too distant past it was quite clear he was a tortured soul and he landed in a foreign place not conducive to make the most of his god given talent.

Whether the likes of Mancini/Vieira could have made a difference it is difficult to say. Still I have never seen a player like him with the capacity to ignite a crowd with a moment of unique brilliance.

I like all 3 players .
And I don't really have a favourite .
Kinkladze will always be special because in a way if we hadn't got that 6 million quid from Ajax .
There wouldn't be a Manchester City football club today .
Bernarbia will always hold very fond memories for me .
I remember his debut against Birmingham .
He tore Trevor Francis team a part that day .
In fact he was the main reason we were so good that 2001-2002 season .
Silva another player, who his box office .
This guy as caused a lot of pain for Manchester United over the last 5 years .
proper legend Silva .

Silva would be the one player I would be devastated at losing. I'd be gutted if Aguero left but then I also never thought he would spend his whole career with us but Silva for me is the best player I have seen pull on the shirt and would be inconsolable if he left.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.