Knee replacement and airport security

I've worked security, both bag scanning and personal security (although not at an airport). The majority of the punters are fine, but it only takes the odd one to make a fuss to cause absolute chaos for everyone else.

If you highlight your situation to the security staff at the earliest opportunity, then generally your passage through security will be as smooth as possible.
I see people at airports all the time,and for some strange reason they change into lost souls, i actually think people stress themselves out about the airport a lot more than is necessary, you wouldn't believe the amount of heart attacks and scares from people going on holiday, stress heads, chill go with the flow get there in plenty of time, and use your brains, a lot of peoples brains go to mush when they are at the airport, they wonder around like lost sheep, it really is amazing how it affects people.
turn bad tempered, anxious and common sense goes completely out of the window, people actually light fags up as soon as they get outside on the apron, next to the fuellers fucking amazing, we as airport staff are watchful of passengers because as I say they do some absolute out of character im sure crazy shit

Had lots of metal plates and screws put in badly broken leg
Ask a doctor as I was worried about setting the alarms off at the airport his advise was go through as normal if you set the scanner off show them your scar
Asked about a note from him said no use as they can he forged also asked about telling security before scanners that I will probably set them off his reply was that if I did that they will search me more
I can see his logic as it happened I didn’t set any alarms off in the UK or places I’ve visited since my accident

But sometimes, security ppl are really nasty deliberately. My missus went to Leeds airport to catch a 6am flight.. Deciding not to risk falling asleep at home ( we had been working hard decorating) she went very early, about 4am. Knowing that there would be no facilities, she took a packet of scones and a bag of sweets. Despite her protests, these were confiscated. I complained. The airport were unable to tell me: why they did this, what happened to the food (give you one guess), whether confiscated goods were logged. They must know if there is a log ffs but they were adament that they didn't know ! Conclusion: security thought it would be fun to bully an elderly woman and were thieving twunts. Never got a whiff of apology.

But sometimes, security ppl are really nasty deliberately. My missus went to Leeds airport to catch a 6am flight.. Deciding not to risk falling asleep at home ( we had been working hard decorating) she went very early, about 4am. Knowing that there would be no facilities, she took a packet of scones and a bag of sweets. Despite her protests, these were confiscated. I complained. The airport were unable to tell me: why they did this, what happened to the food (give you one guess), whether confiscated goods were logged. They must know if there is a log ffs but they were adament that they didn't know ! Conclusion: security thought it would be fun to bully an elderly woman and were thieving twunts. Never got a whiff of apology.
dr5gys.jpg

Yep, get used to it. Had both hips replaced and sometimes they go off and sometimes not. Always go off in the US. Nearly missed a flight once because they separated me in a glass box and just left me. When I complained they got really nasty.

It's all this belts and shoes nonsense that drives me barmy. One airport says remove your belt, another says no problem. One guy says leave your shoes on, another one screams at you for breaking the rules when you go through the scanner. Hate them. No please or thank yous, they're mainly c#nts.

The worst one I had was a few years ago when they confiscated my medication canister. No explanation and no appeal could be lodged, so had to put my tablets in my pocket where they would have nicely crumbled away, except once I got through security and to the shops I could buy the exact same one from Boots. It was only the sight of the armed guards that stopped me going back in to pick a fight. Fuming.

I see people at airports all the time,and for some strange reason they change into lost souls, i actually think people stress themselves out about the airport a lot more than is necessary, you wouldn't believe the amount of heart attacks and scares from people going on holiday, stress heads, chill go with the flow get there in plenty of time, and use your brains, a lot of peoples brains go to mush when they are at the airport, they wonder around like lost sheep, it really is amazing how it affects people.
turn bad tempered, anxious and common sense goes completely out of the window, people actually light fags up as soon as they get outside on the apron, next to the fuellers fucking amazing, we as airport staff are watchful of passengers because as I say they do some absolute out of character im sure crazy shit
I once saw a guy refuelling a helicopter with a burning cigarette in his mouth. Avtur isn't particularly volatile unless it's heated vapours, but that's definitely not to say smoking should be allowed anywhere near an aircraft, refuelling or not.

You are right about people at airports though. They seem to loose their minds, especially if you add screaming kids or alcohol into the mix. It's best to just chill out and go with the flow. As long as you are there in plenty of time, and you have a reserved seat (which you can usually do online before you get to the airport these days, then you'll be fine.

It's all this belts and shoes nonsense that drives me barmy. One airport says remove your belt, another says no problem. One guy says leave your shoes on, another one screams at you for breaking the rules when you go through the scanner. Hate them. No please or thank yous, they're mainly c#nts.

They're not all bad. If you do get a bad one, the best thing to do it be just polite (not sarcastically) because all they are really after is a reaction from you so they can give you more grief.

Bear in mind though, they have to deal with thousands of people each day, and you only have to deal with one or two of them at the most. They don't get particularly well paid, and although they try their best to remain professional, they sometimes go a bit over the top when dealing with a stroppy or awkward punter.

... they sometimes go a bit over the top when dealing with a stroppy or awkward punter.
It can be anyone, in my experience. Not just the UK, either. I had just arrived in the US and was waiting in line for passport control and it was a slow process. I had taken to (subconsciously) lightly support myself using one of the rope supports when one of these numpties approached from out of my view and took a swipe at my hand - not even a word. I think some of them have an inferiority complex and this unchallengable power they have temporarily emboldens them to treat passengers poorly out of some perverse pleasure. They're a weird bunch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.