Kylian Mbappe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our two advantages? Mendy, his good mate, and Pep.
Our disadvantage? Manchester as a place to live, as compared to Paris. My feeling is that this won't cut so much ice, in fact. Paris is not an exotic place for Mbappé, as it is for Dani Alves. He also doesn't have a wife telling him where she'd prefer to do her shopping.
PSG's big disadvantage? Same as ours with Arsenal for Sanchez, only possibly slightly worse. If Monaco, reigning champions, and worthily so, sell to the Parisians, you might as well say the French championship is already decided for this year. And possibly for years to come. It would virtually amount to an abdication, with the French league only just under way.
I think this is still on for us. People won't like this, but part of me feels that it would be no bad thing if Mbappé stayed one more year at Monaco. But if he's going anywhere…

I don't get where Nike come in to this. Do they actually have any power whatsoever?
Power is a strong word, but I would definitely say that they have a huge influence. Players like Ronaldo earn a lot as far as salary and bonuses go, but all that money is a minuscule when compared to the ad reveunue, sponsorship deals, product endorsements, etc. Same goes for companies too. If they get a buy-in with a top player, under the right set of circumstances they can literally have a billion-dollar source of revenue for endless years. Nike won't be forcing Mbappe to sign for PSG, but they'll let him know how things shape up. Here's an example -
1. Nike run some market simulations and predict that if Mbappe signs for PSG, they'll be making X million over next 5 years. I'm being incredibly superficial, but it's okay for this example.
2. Nike runs another simulation for City and figure they'll be making Y, which less than X.
3. They let Mbappe know that if he signs for PSG, Nike will be earning more and in return, he will also earn more for product endorsement deals. Let's say Mbappe will get 10 million a year with City from Nike versus 20 million with PSG. Again, this is not how numbers work, but I've no way to explain all of it accurately without writing a 50K word essay.

So, there you go. Promotional deals matter a lot. Not so much for less marketable players, but for players like Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Pogba, etc. this factor is huge.

If it's true and Nike are actively trying to persuade the lad to join psg then we should fuck them off first chance we get and their shite kits!

Power is a strong word, but I would definitely say that they have a huge influence. Players like Ronaldo earn a lot as far as salary and bonuses go, but all that money is a minuscule when compared to the ad reveunue, sponsorship deals, product endorsements, etc. Same goes for companies too. If they get a buy-in with a top player, under the right set of circumstances they can literally have a billion-dollar source of revenue for endless years. Nike won't be forcing Mbappe to sign for PSG, but they'll let him know how things shape up. Here's an example -
1. Nike run some market simulations and predict that if Mbappe signs for PSG, they'll be making X million over next 5 years. I'm being incredibly superficial, but it's okay for this example.
2. Nike runs another simulation for City and figure they'll be making Y, which less than X.
3. They let Mbappe know that if he signs for PSG, Nike will be earning more and in return, he will also earn more for product endorsement deals. Let's say Mbappe will get 10 million a year with City from Nike versus 20 million with PSG. Again, this is not how numbers work, but I've no way to explain all of it accurately without writing a 50K word essay.

So, there you go. Promotional deals matter a lot. Not so much for less marketable players, but for players like Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Pogba, etc. this factor is huge.

Cheers for taking the time to explain. Ronaldo and Messi would be interesting examples seeing as Real Madrid are signed up to Adidas and Barca to Nike. The Pogba one I found interesting as his whole unveiling was an Adidas advert from top to bottom.

Nike photoshoot in Manchester. Bollox. Not buying it. What Monaco not pretty enough? Not rough enough? So fly all way to Platt Lane to do a photoshoot with some YouTube bloggers in a snide crappy orange Nike T-shirt? Nah not buying it. This kid cant probably nip to shop without a tabloid tracking him like some Big Brother slapper so we need smokescreen. Now I wont go as far as say he's done medicals and signed or any of that but what better way to have a proper look around and I bet Pep just so happened to be in the Cafe just off Moss Lane :)

...Am only part joking with my post. Does all seem a bit strange. Hope the kid signs for us but at mo cant see past Madrid. But Im seriously hoping we get him. Come on Cheeky!!

we need to follow PSG`s lead and go big on this and get the deal done! surely nike will be involved in helping finance a deal for Mbappe?
Not our style. We will say nothing until he is announced as a City player. If indeed he is announced as a City player.

Nike photoshoot in Manchester. Bollox. Not buying it. What Monaco not pretty enough? Not rough enough? So fly all way to Platt Lane to do a photoshoot with some YouTube bloggers in a snide crappy orange Nike T-shirt? Nah not buying it. This kid cant probably nip to shop without a tabloid tracking him like some Big Brother slapper so we need smokescreen. Now I wont go as far as say he's done medicals and signed or any of that but what better way to have a proper look around and I bet Pep just so happened to be in the Cafe just off Moss Lane :)

...Am only part joking with my post. Does all seem a bit strange. Hope the kid signs for us but at mo cant see past Madrid. But Im seriously hoping we get him. Come on Cheeky!!
They probably chose Manchester as location because Sané didn't have the time to fly out. They also got a lot of free publicity out of it, really clever or artwork by accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.