La Liga official complaint about City

Excellent.

The ubiquitous use of "state owned" grinds my gears and I totally applaud the intent behind this.

As an aside, you have previously said we are "effectively" state owned and I've run with this on here as well following your lead.

Do you still stand by "effectively state owned"? Or do you have another more suited expression to describe the relationship with Abu Dhabi such as "state funded"?
If you ask me (which you didn't) we are "owned by a member of the ruling AD family". No-one has a problem with that, I imagine. We are not state-owned or state-funded. Poor @Prestwich_Blue, he made an off-the-cuff remark years ago and it still gets rolled out every few months.

As an aside, the power in an absolute monarchy rests with the absolute monarch, not with his brother, so the comparison to Abramovic is the same mistake Tebas is making if he really has referred to Mansour as a oligarch. An oligarch is a member of an oligarchy, AD is an absolute monarchy and so that definition doesn't apply. (I'm surprised no-one has run with oiligarch yet). When AD actively involves itself in destabilising western democracies, then I may have a problem with City's ownership by Mansour, in the same way I have had a problem with Abramovic for years. I don't see that happening in my lifetime though.

There is a reason why no organisation that has any importance to the club has ever tried to claim we are state-owned. It's a shame none of them tried, it would have put the club in a much stronger position with all the other arseholes who throw the phrase around.

I definitely agree up to a point, but clearly there's a difference between the Abu Dhabi royal family and the British royal family. One rules their country, and the other one eats a lot of fancy food, cuts ribbons and shakes hands with people.

Mansour is a Deputy Prime Minister of the UAE, and his brother is the ruler. While I agree that Man City are not simply state owned, the relationship between the state and the royal family in the UAE is a hell of a lot more intertwined than any horses the Queen has bought.

It's the kind of stretch that makes it easy to dismiss the rest, even if it's a well balanced argument.
Not entirely accurate. Mansour is one of three deputy pm’s who derive that title from their membership of a body called the Cabinet. Each Emirate has one seat.This body, described as the supreme sovereign body of UAE, does not actually legislate at all but nods thru laws that come before it. These laws are proposed by the Executive Council and already have the ruler‘s approval. The ruler is a member of the cabinet. Mansour is not a member of the Executive Council, which is the governing/ministerial body.

Lol!

LaLiga will file a lawsuit with the French courts through lawyer Juan Branco to prevent Kylian Mbappe's new contract with Paris Saint-Germain from being validated.

Spanish football's governing body considers the new deal to be 'illegal' because it violates UEFA's financial fair play rules. In the event the French courts do not rule in favour of LaLiga, action will be sought from the European Commission and it is not ruled out filing a lawsuit at the Court of Justice of the European Union.

(This is the best bit towards the end of the article. They are f*cking insane!)

Meanwhile (Juan Branco), he also accused "state clubs or clubs [owned by] oligarchs" such as PSG or Manchester City of undermining European football by forcing clubs such as Real Madrid or Barcelona, who do respect the rules, to increase revenue from stadium tickets or shirt sales in order to compete on an equal footing.

This is completely insane. One wonders how much is really La Liga and how much is Tebas.

Lol!

LaLiga will file a lawsuit with the French courts through lawyer Juan Branco to prevent Kylian Mbappe's new contract with Paris Saint-Germain from being validated.

Spanish football's governing body considers the new deal to be 'illegal' because it violates UEFA's financial fair play rules. In the event the French courts do not rule in favour of LaLiga, action will be sought from the European Commission and it is not ruled out filing a lawsuit at the Court of Justice of the European Union.

(This is the best bit towards the end of the article. They are f*cking insane!)

Meanwhile (Juan Branco), he also accused "state clubs or clubs [owned by] oligarchs" such as PSG or Manchester City of undermining European football by forcing clubs such as Real Madrid or Barcelona, who do respect the rules, to increase revenue from stadium tickets or shirt sales in order to compete on an equal footing.

Can any of our more informed posters explain how a contract of employment for one individual could be deemed to breach FFP rules? Isn't FFP applied to the overall accounts of a club over the regulatory period?

Can any of our more informed posters explain how a contract of employment for one individual could be deemed to breach FFP rules? Isn't FFP applied to the overall accounts of a club over the regulatory period?
No-one can explain it because it is bollocks.

Also, it's probably translation, but nobody gets to "validate" Mbappe's contract in any sense of the word.

And, as I said before, Mansour isn't an oligarch.

Apart from all that, and the rest, Tebas has a good point.

I have been asking the same question about Newton. Does anyone know?
Abu Dhabi is pretty secretive about company information as you know, but after the change in ultimate ownership in 2021 CFG filed two documents, one removing ADUG as a person with significant control, and one notifying Sheikh Mansour (not Newton) as a person with significant control. No issue with Sheikh Mansour as it confirms he owns Newton (which is a sole proprietorship LLC as far as I can make out), but get this, these two filings were said to be effective April 6, 2016.

Edit - May just be a personal tax thing for Mansour, that is still the tax year in the UK, is it? Or maybe some tidying up of the shareholding structure to make it absolutely clear who owns CFG? The 6 year timeframe is interesting.

This is a fine letter, but there are two areas where it's a tad weak.

Our monarchy is a constitutional monarchy. This means that, while our sovereign is head of state, the ability to make and pass legislation resides with an elected parliament.

The UAE is a federation of absolute monarchies, it is a "tribal autocracy" where the seven constituent monarchies are led by tribal rulers.There are no democratically elected institutions in the UAE.

So comparing the Queen to the Sheikh doesn't really work, she has no political power by dint of royal blood, the Sheikh does.

As you know the Sheikh is vice chairman of Mubadala Investment Group, the Emirati State-owned sovereign wealth fund, he did not buy City with funds from this group. Instead he bought City as owner of the Abu Dhabi United Group (ADUG), an investment company for the Abu Dhabi royal family.

You and I might consider this distinction to be of paramount importance, I very much doubt WSC will.

Someone has been on Wikipedia.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.