La liga vs Premier league

The fact that Messi and Ronaldo have scored something like 37 goals a peice so far this season tell us one of two things.

Either

a) They are light years better than every other player in world football.

or b) The rest of the players are shite.

id go for a b).

Yes, they are both good players but Ronaldo was only on par with Rooney, Torres, Drogba etc when he played here so I draw from that the conclusion that the rest of the league is pants.

Its Scottish football played all over again only at 1/4 of the speed and even less excitement.
Yes, Barca are a joy to watch but if our guys had that much time on the ball then we would be passing teams to death as well.

La Liga has 2 of the best 4 sides in the world and a fair number of the best players. But the leagu quality overall is poor IMO and its not a great spectacle out side those 2 teams.

There is a reason the prem sell so well world wide and despite what Blatter and co think its not just down to good marketing.

doomuk said:
The fact that Messi and Ronaldo have scored something like 37 goals a peice so far this season tell us one of two things.

Either

a) They are light years better than every other player in world football.

or b) The rest of the players are shite.

id go for a b).

Yes, they are both good players but Ronaldo was only on par with Rooney, Torres, Drogba etc when he played here so I draw from that the conclusion that the rest of the league is pants.

Its Scottish football played all over again only at 1/4 of the speed and even less excitement.
Yes, Barca are a joy to watch but if our guys had that much time on the ball then we would be passing teams to death as well.

Whilst not a million miles better, Ronaldo was better than those players you mentioned whilst over here, or at least his final season or two. His goals to game ratio in his final season was ridiculous!

1 Barcelona vs Rags
2 Real Madrid vs Arse
3 Villarreal vs Us
4 Valencia vs Chelsea
5 Espanyol vs Spurs
6 Athletic Bilbao vs Sunderland
7 Atlético Madrid vs 8th most expensive player ever's 11
8 Sevilla vs Blackburn
9 Real Sociedad vs Newcastle
10 Getafe vs Stoke
11 Mallorca vs Bolton
12 Sporting Gijón vs Blackpool
13 Hércules vs Villa
14 Deportivo vs Everton
15 Real Zaragoza vs Fulham
16 Osasuna vs West Brom
17 Racing Santander vs Birmingham
18 Levante vs Wigan
19 Almería vs Wolves
20 Málaga vs West Ham

Home and away, each leg reffed by officials from that country. Who wins?

premier league is better because there are between 4-6 teams going for the title, spain 1-2

La Liga XI

GK: Casillas

RB: D. Alves
CB: Pique
CB: Carvalho
LB: Capdevilla

AM: Xavi
AM: Iniesta
CDM: Mascherano/Xabi Alonso

LW: Ronaldo
RW: Messi
ST: D. Villa

subs: De Gea, Puyol, Diarra, Ozil, Di Maria, Higuian, Aguero

Prem XI

GK: Hart

RB: Sagna
CB: Vidic
CB: Kompany/Vermaelen
LB: Evra

CDM: Essien
AM: Fabregas
AM: Nasri

LW: Bale
RW: Silva
ST: Tevez/Torres

subs: Reina, Ferdinand, A. Cole, de Jong, Van Der Vaart, A. Johnson, Drogba

10 of la ligas first 11 where barca or real and the 1 that wasn't, capdevilla could have been swapped for marcelo or abidal
whereas in the prem there are 5 different teams

Goater's Shin said:
1 Barcelona vs Rags
2 Real Madrid vs Arse
3 Villarreal vs Us
4 Valencia vs Chelsea
5 Espanyol vs Spurs
8 Sevilla vs Blackburn
10 Getafe vs Stoke
11 Mallorca vs Bolton
13 Hércules vs Villa
14 Deportivo vs Everton
16 Osasuna vs West Brom
18 Levante vs Wigan
19 Almería vs Wolves
20 Málaga vs West Ham

Spain 14-6

Pretty hard to compare the two. In my eyes Barcelona has been the best team in the world for the last 5 or so years and they still are, with Real Madrid being almost as good and they have managed to win La Liga twice during this period (albeit had the English rules with goal difference applied Barcelona would have won one of those times).

To say that the rest are a gray mass isn't really fair IMO. There's Valencia, Villareal, Sevilla and Atletico Madrid who have all had successful cup campaigns in europe in the last few years.

Not even close to the SPL in my opinion. In the last 15 years different 5 teams has won La Liga. Compare that to the 3 teams who have won the Premier League in that period, while Rangers and Celtic have shared the scottish title for the last 26 years.

It's been as long since we had a different winner to La Liga than Barca or Real (Valencia 03-04) as it has been since we had a different PL winner than Man U or Chelsea (Arsenal 03-04)

Overall though I would agree with most that the english bottom 10 is probably better than the spanish one, but I can't really back that up so who knows.

Goater's Shin said:
1 Barcelona vs Rags
2 Real Madrid vs Arse
3 Villarreal vs Us
4 Valencia vs Chelsea
5 Espanyol vs Spurs
8 Sevilla vs Blackburn
10 Getafe vs Stoke
11 Mallorca vs Bolton
13 Hércules vs Villa
14 Deportivo vs Everton
16 Osasuna vs West Brom
18 Levante vs Wigan
19 Almería vs Wolves
20 Málaga vs West Ham

Looking at all the teams just makes it harder. Honestly I don't know how it would finish...
Although wouldn't it be better to have neutral officials for both legs? :)

Sleeping_Easy said:
Just been discussing this with some mates and the majority (myself included) are of the opinion that the top two teams in spain are quality but past that its generally of a lower standard than the premier league.

So two questions really:

1. Which league is better? (i know this can be taken in different ways so take it how you want)
2. What would be your 'la liga X1' and 'prem X1' ?

Discuss

One of the main arguments people who favour the Prem over La Liga is that on any day any team can beat anyone in the Prem. Already this season I've watched Hercules win at El Camp Nou and Osasuna beat Real. And Real and Barca are better than any teams in the Prem. If they joined the Prem they'd be 1 and 2, almost definately! A mid table, average La Liga team - Atletico - beat Liverpool and Fulham in the Europa Lg last season. A bottom half team - Santander - quite easily beat us a few years ago.

I'm not saying La Liga is better - it's actually impossible to prove.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.