Laptop screen almost blank

blue44

Team supported
St Marks West Gorton
My new ( ish ) laptop starts up and is ready to use after the normal start up ,only problem is the screen is 95 to 99 % black,i only know that the desktop is there after start up because i used a LED torch,I did that by chance just to see if there was anything there.Iv managed to copy some music MP'3 and video's to a usb memory stick to put on my very old laptop I'm using now ,so i know my new laptop still works its just that the screen is virtually black,any ideas what it is and can it be fixed etc ?

thanks in advance

My new ( ish ) laptop starts up and is ready to use after the normal start up ,only problem is the screen is 95 to 99 % black,i only know that the desktop is there after start up because i used a LED torch,I did that by chance just to see if there was anything there.Iv managed to copy some music MP'3 and video's to a usb memory stick to put on my very old laptop I'm using now ,so i know my new laptop still works its just that the screen is virtually black,any ideas what it is and can it be fixed etc ?

thanks in advance

You can try opening and closing the lid numerous times (might trigger the inverter in the hinge) also try tapping the screen when closed (back of laptop) in all four corners and see if that helps. Only other idea I have is roll back the display drivers to the last known update and see if anything new that might have been installed in the latest update is causing the issue. If you can still see the screen but only with direct light on it it definitely sounds like a backlight issue.

Is there a setting for the contrast of the screen?
its very difficult to see anything,i have to hold my torch close to the screen and then try do whatever with my other hand.

do you mean right click the desktop and try to go into graphic or screen resolution etc ?

You can try opening and closing the lid numerous times (might trigger the inverter in the hinge) also try tapping the screen when closed (back of laptop) in all four corners and see if that helps. Only other idea I have is roll back the display drivers to the last known update and see if anything new that might have been installed in the latest update is causing the issue. If you can still see the screen but only with direct light on it it definitely sounds like a backlight issue.
Hi,i tried this before,setting it back to original settings but saving all my files etc,it takes an age to do,i did it overnight a few days ago,at one point the screen came on 100% and then went back to going through the original set up process,thats when i thought it would be ok once everything was finished,but it hasn't done,tried that 2 times,and always back to the black screen

what should i do about the " back light " issue if thats what it is,how much to repair etc thanks

its very difficult to see anything,i have to hold my torch close to the screen and then try do whatever with my other hand.

do you mean right click the desktop and try to go into graphic or screen resolution etc ?
Yeah. If you can get into the settings then I'm sure you should be able to adjust it.
It might be a longshot but worth trying.
I'm not a computer buff by the way, the way you described it it just sounds like the contrast needs turning up.
What pc is it? Some laptops you can adjust the settings using some of the f keys.

Or pour some tea into the keyboard ;)

Yeah. If you can get into the settings then I'm sure you should be able to adjust it.
It might be a longshot but worth trying.
I'm not a computer buff by the way, the way you described it it just sounds like the contrast needs turning up.
What pc is it? Some laptops you can adjust the settings using some of the f keys.
its an hp laptop ,to be honest,Iv had it roughly 1 year and had nothing but trouble with it,Im back on my old acer now,wished Id bought a new version of my acer tbh

its an hp laptop ,to be honest,Iv had it roughly 1 year and had nothing but trouble with it,Im back on my old acer now,wished Id bought a new version of my acer tbh
hp stuff seems shit mate, I've got a Chromebook which decided it'd stop reading the battery just after it was out of warranty.

I've had the thing apart to check for connection issues but all seems ok in that respect.

Have to keep it on charge now when using it or it randomly shows 1% charge and turns off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.