Last manager who City fans really wanted sacked

The last 2 seasons of Pellegrini's reign felt like a state of purgatory, knowing we had to endure it in order to get Pep.

Price worth paying no doubt, but definitely 2 seasons which should have seen us win at least another league title.
I remember speaking to Alistair Mann in 2016, just as Pep came in, and he said exactly the same. After Ferguson retired there was a hole to be filled and City had a chance to start a dynasty. We missed it. It came eventually with Pep, but Chelsea only finished on 87 points in 2015 and Leicester - great as their story is - won the league on 81 points. Leicester's story is incredible but it has quite a lot to do with City, Chelsea, United, Arsenal, and Liverpool all being in a state of disrepair and transition. It was our own fault that we couldn't stay in touch with Leicester that year and a lot of it was down to Pellegrini slowly losing the dressing room and the fans and then compounding the difficulty by announcing Pep's imminent arrival before the world's press had a clue.

It says a lot about how bad things got - and how quickly we all lost faith - that a manager who won us a Premier League title and a League Cup said his big goodbye to about 5,000 people. I didn't like Pellegrini and I wanted him gone about 18 months before he did, but I wanted to at least say thanks. Sadly I went to that 2-2 Arsenal game with a bunch of different people than I usually do and they all wanted to go along with the crowd after a disappointing result - they were my lift home so I had to leave with them. I would have been in this photo - I've sat in 233/234 ever since we moved to the City of Manchester Stadium - but I basically got dragged out in a group. Regardless, though, I understood why people wanted to go. We were done with Pellegrini, he was done with us.

1713955315016.png

Pellegrini after taking us to the Bernabeu in the Semi Final where at 1-0 down all we had to do was try and score a goal and we would have gone through on away goals.
Instead he kept defending and we mustered an amazing 4 shots all game. Oh and he bought Bony who was up there with Gerry Creaney as being outstandingly wa nk.

Hughes didn’t buy Yaya or David Silva, that was Mancini several months after Hughes was sacked
He was sacked before he rubber stamped it but did identify both players when in charge. More than likely he wouldn't have got the very best out of them.

I thought Hughes was alright (despite being a rag). He had a better record than Sven and was far, far more entertaining to watch than Pearce (God only knows how he ended up in that roll). Got us to our first semi final since '81. If the takeover hadn't happened, I think he would have been the right man for the job.

Clearly, in hindsight, bringing in Mancini was the correct move, though. We went from having a decent manager that could make midtable teams overperform, to an elite, world class manager who could take us to the next level.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.