Last night showed Mancini's weakness again

Comrade Buka said:
moomba said:
Why is it always the managers weakness and not the players?

Because if it was the players weakness, no manager would be needed. There you go.

If its just down to the manager then doesnt that mean we have the best one in the league (current champions)?

Didsbury Dave said:
stonerblue said:
dave bacuzzi said:
Don't need Barry in these type of games and Milner played like Stanley Matthews older brother.

Gotta say that most of our 'steady eddies' had an off night. GazBaz too busy trying to take out Mbia, not succeeding and getting more and more flustered.
Jimmy defended well but not much going forward. Even Merlin was stuck for options in the 2nd half.
The balls into the box that were being put in by our defenders were meat and drink for QPR's back four.

As Barnes snag, "There's only one way to beat them, get round the back.

It's been a major problem since Richards was injured, fella.

Man United beat defensive teams by getting behind them. We don't do it.

Problem since SWP went the first time.

It's all well and good having defenders trying to get the ball over but it's not 'natural' for them to hit a curling cross from the byeline while running at top speed. Out and out wingers do this instinctively.

Comrade Buka said:
The cookie monster said:
Its funny how these threads only pop up when we draw or lose
Not a fucking dickie bird for the last 5 weeks

Probably because repeating that we need width and pace becomes fucking boring.

I guess repeating it when we are winning matches is a bit daft
Much easier to to do it when we lose or draw

Didsbury Dave said:
The reason Man Utd don't struggle against defensive teams as much as us is that they get behind them. Their wide men and full backs stretch then and ping in balls from the byline. It doesn't matter if you have 11 men behind the ball, it is difficult to defend a cross which is coming from behind you. Richards gave us this and has been a big miss. So did Adam Johnson.

It's been there as a problem for a long time and is not going away. We have won a lot of these type of games 1-0 this season, often with late goals, but if you play 20 of these games a season then you are going to draw or lose a fair percentage of them - as has been happening all year.

In the full back positions and wide midfield positions we haven't got anything like the overlap penetration that we should have. We don't play that way. We actually looked better as a 4-4-2 with Milner wide over the last few games because it stretched the opposition more, but Milner's not ideal. He will get to the line but it isn't his main strength.

Mostly agree. Don't think teams park the bus against MU as much as they do against us; not sure if that is because they don't think it will work or they don't fear them as much. If you park the bus effectively, you should be able to deny space in behind and limit a team like MU's the opportunity to cross from the by-line. However, it was noticeable last night how Zab and Clichy held back rather than trying to get into advanced wide positions. Definitely one of those games where we were crying out for Micah. I was also crying out for Sinclair to get a run much earlier than he did.

Even with all our ongoing faults, we had 17 shots (the best average in league is 19 shots per game) and we did draw some fine saves from Cesar. So, whilst, I have long agreed that we need the option of pace and serious crossing ability on the flanks, the biggest fault remains the failure to be more clinical with our finishing, which was why Bobby wanted RvP.

Both Mancini and the players are at fault for our failings but if team's park the bus often enough, they will sometimes get away with it.

Comrade Buka said:
The cookie monster said:
Its funny how these threads only pop up when we draw or lose
Not a fucking dickie bird for the last 5 weeks

Probably because repeating that we need width and pace becomes fucking boring.

Possibly so,but that doesn't render it any less true,and it is a more accurate explanation for last night's inability to break down a stubborn defence and a goalkeeper inspired than vaguely scapegoating the manager.

OB1 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
The reason Man Utd don't struggle against defensive teams as much as us is that they get behind them. Their wide men and full backs stretch then and ping in balls from the byline. It doesn't matter if you have 11 men behind the ball, it is difficult to defend a cross which is coming from behind you. Richards gave us this and has been a big miss. So did Adam Johnson.

It's been there as a problem for a long time and is not going away. We have won a lot of these type of games 1-0 this season, often with late goals, but if you play 20 of these games a season then you are going to draw or lose a fair percentage of them - as has been happening all year.

In the full back positions and wide midfield positions we haven't got anything like the overlap penetration that we should have. We don't play that way. We actually looked better as a 4-4-2 with Milner wide over the last few games because it stretched the opposition more, but Milner's not ideal. He will get to the line but it isn't his main strength.

Mostly agree. Don't think teams park the bus against MU as much as they do against us; not sure if that is because they don't think it will work or they don't fear them as much. If you park the bus effectively, you should be able to deny space in behind and limit a team like MU's the opportunity to cross from the by-line. However, it was noticeable last night how Zab and Clichy held back rather than trying to get into advanced wide positions. Definitely one of those games where we were crying out for Micah. I was also crying out for Sinclair to get a run much earlier than he did.

Even with all our ongoing faults, we had 17 shots (the best average in league is 19 shots per game) and we did draw some fine saves from Cesar. So, whilst, I have long agreed that we need the option of pace and serious crossing ability on the flanks, the biggest fault remains the failure to be more clinical with our finishing, which was why Bobby wanted RvP.

Both Mancini and the players are at fault for our failings but if team's park the bus often enough, they will sometimes get away with it.

I think they still fear them, but United play in a different way. They've only got the tenth(!) best defensive record in the division, but are currently top of the pile. They play a much more open game hoping to outscore opponents with their superior attack, and they do draw teams out.

We try to dominate other teams, restricting their chances- but this forces them back, making out attackers job harder. We've both got similar goal difference, and considering the derby could have gone either way in the last few minutes, we could easily be top right now.

United play a very different game to City, and City with wingers would not be United.

We have needed width for as long as i can remember.some of our defeats,draws etc over the last 2 seasons could have been averted just by simply introducing a different system in to our play.We dominate possession in virtually every match we play including defeats and draws. what does that tell us ?,obviously we have much more off the ball than our opponents.The games we lose or draw whilst dominating possession simply shouldn't be happening,they are far to frequent in my opinion and invariably against shite footballing sides. it Nearly cost us last season,we haven't learned from it and it probably will this.

25 minutes gone last night i knew how the game would pan out ,as i suspect most City fans did.Aguero and Tevez just isn't working right now.I don't see the logic in knocking long hopeful balls over the top of 10 opposing players to two small players for 90 minutes or looking for one killer pass through the middle.It is always the same against Sunderland,Everton,Qpr,West Ham etc..

Dzeko should have been stuck up front much earlier,and we should revert to getting down the flanks and putting balls in to the box if we don't look like winning.The RAGS do it all the time in these types of games.

Too much over-analysis of a match that we were unlucky to not win.

However, I was disappointed when Dzeko didn't start [say, for Tevez] and, in retrospect, Sinclair should have started for Nasri. Dead easy, this retrospective manager thing!

coleridge said:
Too much over-analysis of a match that we were unlucky to not win.

However, I was disappointed when Dzeko didn't start [say, for Tevez] and, in retrospect, Sinclair should have started for Nasri. Dead easy, this retrospective manager thing!
I think Sinclair should have started for one of Barry or Milner. Not sure we needed that much cover as QPR were sitting deep. Move Nasri central beside Milner or Barry and put Sinclair on the left, and replace Tevez with Dzeko.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.