League One Thread - 2021/22 | Sunderland promoted

How do you think Bradford will get on next season?
They seem to have pushed the boat out to sign Hughes - easily the highest profile manager in the fourth tier.
The owner had to push the boat out .......... getting Hughes in was like dodging a bullet considering what a complete shambles it was last season :( I think we will do well next season we have to start getting things right because hanging around at this level is damaging us year after year

First time on since last weekend. Thanks for all the warmth shown to Sunderland, much appreciated- what a weekend it proved to be!!!!

I watched your game and the Scousers game in a pub in Paddington before heading to Heathrow for flight back. There were half a dozen cockney Liverpool “fans” (you all know the type) plus me and my lad and an old school Man U fan in the bar.
The plastics thought they had it won but when you boys roared back and took the title me and my lad and (to my slight surprise) the Utd fan were all on our feet celebrating.
A great end to an absolutely magical weekend

I know you went through the times we have had and then hit the jackpot and I genuinely couldn’t have wished it on a better set of fans (apart from us of course) than you

congratulations on the title

ps seen your new striker play live for Dortmund - he is an absolute monster
Get the LOT on for top scorer next season!

...and here we go again...hope flying high, with a feeling of almost inevitable dread that as per usual my beloved team will rip away any glimmer of success ...maybe in injury time, maybe on penalties....an own goal even....maybe we will just get hammered.....

Beers in fridge..check
Blood pressure ...through the roof
Hairline...disappeared a decade ago
Heart rate...going like a pneumatic drill
Beers in fridge...check

75% of me think we have a great chance...95% knows we will blow it....yep..the maths arent adding up either....

I'll just triple check the Beers are in the fridge....

Ahhh

Haway the lads....its the hope I can't stand
First time on since last weekend. Thanks for all the warmth shown to Sunderland, much appreciated- what a weekend it proved to be!!!!

I watched your game and the Scousers game in a pub in Paddington before heading to Heathrow for flight back. There were half a dozen cockney Liverpool “fans” (you all know the type) plus me and my lad and an old school Man U fan in the bar.
The plastics thought they had it won but when you boys roared back and took the title me and my lad and (to my slight surprise) the Utd fan were all on our feet celebrating.

I know you went through the times we have had and then hit the jackpot and I genuinely couldn’t have wished it on a better set of fans (apart from us of course) than you

Congrats, Mackems.

Thanks for the kind words, G.

I’m genuinely delighted that you have finally made it back to the Championship. I’ve had a soft spot for Sunderland ever since you won a certain game in May 1973. I still remember Ian Porterfield's goal and my reaction, with my Mum's warning, "There’s still a long way to go."

Other posters have said that they hope you win back-to-back promotions, but I’m not so sure, from personal experience, that it’s a good thing. A season of consolidation would serve you much better, IMHO.

Anyway, all the best. I’m sure Alex Neal will continue his good work and we’ll soon see you in the Premier League again.

I am really looking forward to seeing Håland in Blue, and I think KdB will have more assists than ever.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, G.

I’m genuinely delighted that you have finally made it back to the Championship. I’ve had a soft spot for Sunderland ever since you won a certain game in May 1973. I still remember Ian Porterfield's goaand my reaction, with my Mum's warning, "There’s still a long way to go."

Other posters have said that they hope you win back-to-back promotions, but I’m not so sure, from personal experience, that it’s a good thing. A season of consolidation would serve you much better, IMHO.

Anyway, all the best. I’m sure Alex Neal will continue his good work and we’ll soon see you in the Premier League again.

I am really looking forward to seeing Håland in Blue, and I think KdB will have more assists than ever.
I'll echo this post V.

I always had a negative view of Sunderland. This came from an away match at Roker Park in the late 1960s on a Saturday that was New Years Eve. The pubs closed at 10:30! Apart from that we were attacked by Neanderthals coming out of the hostelry.

By comparison, my memories of Newcastle United from that era were all positive. My first trip as a sixteen year old to St James’ Park left me with memories as to how the local supporters helped me get from the Paddock to the end where the City supporters were housed.

My view of Sunderland and their supporters changed with the 2014 League Cup Final. I met a number of Sunderland fans in the hotel after the match and really bonded with them.

In fact my attitude to Sunderland changed a few weeks earlier on the night if their semifinal second leg against United. I was in Newcastle that night for a Mogwai concert with my son. After the gig ended we went to a pub for a drink and found the match was still playing extra time.

As might be expected the Newcastle locals were not backing Sunderland. However when it came to the penalty shoot-out, many were cheering the United missed penalties. It was probably the worst shoot out I have ever seen as Sunderland blundered to a 2-1 win!

Now I always wish Sunderland well and hope to see them back in the PL before long.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.