League One Thread - 2021/22 | Sunderland promoted

Despite not winning today I'm quite happy with our performance. Not sure what has happened but the last few games we've looked a totally different team.

Drew 2-2 with Wycombe today who are joint top, but we were far the better team (and that's coming from a pessimist) and really should have one.

They took the lead from a deflected shot but for me we should have been winning a that point.

Stockdale made a great save to keep it at 0-1, then the players got taken off as there was an incident in the North Stand with the crowd getting the refs attention.

Initially thought it was like the one at Newcastle where a fan collapsed, turns out later that some meatheads decided to start on some other fans as there was a disaggreement over one of our players, lots onto some ended with someone getting sparked out.

When the game resumed we equalised just before HT, into the 2nd half and we scored early doors through Windass, and for once I thought Stockdale should have saved it.

We went for the 3rd and Stockdale suddenly was more urgent with his set pieces than when they were winning. We then gave a away a silly foul on the edge of the box and Jordan Obita scored a cracking FK into the top corner.

Stockdale resumed taking his time again, we had chances but couldn;t just turn them home.

Think they will be happier with a point than us, despite them being joint top out of all the teams in the top 6 we have played they have easily been the worst. It was flashback to the Crazy Gang with most of their attacks coming from balls being hit long.

In the rest of the division good wins for Wigan (at Plymouth), Sunderland, MK Dons & Portsmouth who similar to ourselves are on a bit of a roll now.

Bolton seem to be suffering from an inferioty complex when their manager said they were the best team in the division. Since then they have only won 3 out of the last 12, and one of those was in the Margherita Cup.

With teams above us playing each other yesterday getting 3 points at Crewe was a must. We have picked up 4 points from the last 2 away games which I would have taken before hand, especially as we have 4 CB's out injured.

Against Portsmouth our back 3 was a Liam Palmer (RB), Marvyn Johnson (LM) & Callum Paterson (Utility Player) so to come away with a 0-0 especially playing the last 25 with 10 men was a good result.

Paterson played upfront yesterday :)

We were the better team yesterday and should have won by more, we were 0-1 up and then Crewe got a pen just before HT which was harsh as it hit Bannan on the top of his shoulder with his arm by his side, but we saved it and the rebound which a month ago would have gone in. Staright after HT we made it 0-2 and after that hit the post and had several good chances. Crewe had a chance with 5 to go that was cleared off the line and for once we saw it out without much concern. 2 home games coming up that we need to get 6 points as after that it's Sunderland away who have picked up again after a blip.

Rotherham continue to forge ahead and Wigan, Sunderland & Wycombe are trying to stay with them, I said a few weeks ago that be interesting how Plymouth get on as they had only played us in the top 6. since then they have lost to Charlton, Wycombe, Wigan, Sunderland & drew with MK Dons.

Add to the fact they have lost Ryan Lowe who has taken over at PNE, his assistant Steve Schumacer has stayed at Home Park and be given the managers job.

Save our worst performance of the season for arguably our biggest game of the season

It was always going to be difficult especially as Sunderland were on a fantastic run, I watched their game against Arsenal and thought they looked pretty good.

I didn't see the game as my daughter tested positive for COVID so I was trying to sort some stuff out for her, and tickets sold out before they got to my level.

Around 3pm yesterday there was a massive accident on the A1 north of Leeds which meant lots of fans either arrived late or missed the game altogether as all traffic had to be turned around to be diverted, so nearer to the front of the crash you were the worse it was. Rob Staton of Radio Sheffield was one of those so the commentary had to be provided by Radio Newcastle.

Spare a thought for the 4 poor bastards who spent £200 quid on an Uber so they could get to the game (not sure how they got back?) :)

As I said I didn't see the game so hopefully @Stockport mackem can give a better update, we were already 1-0 down and looking at the game updates the key for me was Chey Dunkley having to be subbed in the 29th minute, this meant we had no recognised CB in the back 3, and boy did this show. Within 10 mins it was 3-0 and game over, after that it's damage limitation.

Our forum as you'd expect is carnage, so i think I'll give it a wide birth for a few days, a lot of fans aren't struck with Darren Moore anyway so last night just adds fuel to the fire. You know the type of threads "Time to go" "Has he gone yet"

The big question for me is is last night a true reflection of who we are, or is it winning at Rotherham & Wigan? I think the truth is somewhere in between, at times we look good and others like the emporers new clothes.

When Sunderland lost to Rotherham 5-1 and us 3-0 in eary November lots of Mackems had had enough and wanted Lee Johnson out, but since then they've really kicked on and look like a team ready for promotion. Alex Pritchard is a player I've always liked since he signed for Huddersfield Town, but for whatever reason he seems to have lost his way a bit, far to good for League 1. Reality for us is the best we can expect is play offs maybe 6th place.

This was our 1st game since the 11th December and it showed, for Sunderland the worst thing is their home game on Sunday against Fleetwood is cancelled, after a result like last night you'd be chomping at the bit to play your next game.

We have Shrewsbury away on Sunday so be interesting to see if we can bounce back, after that no game on the 8th as Morecambe are in the FA Cup then Plymouth at home Smashing!!!

Rest of the division has been a bitty with only 3 or 4 games taking place each match day. Rotherham lost at Accrington Stanley last time out which was a coupon buster and Wigan haven't played since the 18th.

Plymouth have picked up again winning their last 2 since the manager change and Oxford are on a decent run.

Happy New Year to you all

Save our worst performance of the season for arguably our biggest game of the season

It was always going to be difficult especially as Sunderland were on a fantastic run, I watched their game against Arsenal and thought they looked pretty good.

I didn't see the game as my daughter tested positive for COVID so I was trying to sort some stuff out for her, and tickets sold out before they got to my level.

Around 3pm yesterday there was a massive accident on the A1 north of Leeds which meant lots of fans either arrived late or missed the game altogether as all traffic had to be turned around to be diverted, so nearer to the front of the crash you were the worse it was. Rob Staton of Radio Sheffield was one of those so the commentary had to be provided by Radio Newcastle.

Spare a thought for the 4 poor bastards who spent £200 quid on an Uber so they could get to the game (not sure how they got back?) :)

As I said I didn't see the game so hopefully @Stockport mackem can give a better update, we were already 1-0 down and looking at the game updates the key for me was Chey Dunkley having to be subbed in the 29th minute, this meant we had no recognised CB in the back 3, and boy did this show. Within 10 mins it was 3-0 and game over, after that it's damage limitation.

Our forum as you'd expect is carnage, so i think I'll give it a wide birth for a few days, a lot of fans aren't struck with Darren Moore anyway so last night just adds fuel to the fire. You know the type of threads "Time to go" "Has he gone yet"

The big question for me is is last night a true reflection of who we are, or is it winning at Rotherham & Wigan? I think the truth is somewhere in between, at times we look good and others like the emporers new clothes.

When Sunderland lost to Rotherham 5-1 and us 3-0 in eary November lots of Mackems had had enough and wanted Lee Johnson out, but since then they've really kicked on and look like a team ready for promotion. Alex Pritchard is a player I've always liked since he signed for Huddersfield Town, but for whatever reason he seems to have lost his way a bit, far to good for League 1. Reality for us is the best we can expect is play offs maybe 6th place.

This was our 1st game since the 11th December and it showed, for Sunderland the worst thing is their home game on Sunday against Fleetwood is cancelled, after a result like last night you'd be chomping at the bit to play your next game.

We have Shrewsbury away on Sunday so be interesting to see if we can bounce back, after that no game on the 8th as Morecambe are in the FA Cup then Plymouth at home Smashing!!!

Rest of the division has been a bitty with only 3 or 4 games taking place each match day. Rotherham lost at Accrington Stanley last time out which was a coupon buster and Wigan haven't played since the 18th.

Plymouth have picked up again winning their last 2 since the manager change and Oxford are on a decent run.

How is Paterson playing.
Liked him at Hearts.Gives his all although no real football skills.

How is Paterson playing.
Liked him at Hearts.Gives his all although no real football skills.
Think that sums him up perfectly m8.

At times looks excellent and others he'd struggle playing for the Dog & Duck.

I think one thing that doesn't help is as a utility player what is his position?

Summed up perfectly in the space of 4 days recently.

December 7th Vs Portsmouth (A) played as a left sided CB in a back 3
December 11th Vs Crewe (A) played in a front 2 as a 2nd striker

One thing I will always say for him is he is very rarely injured, so at least if he's "excellent" or "dog & duck" he is available.

One of those nights for the fans of yours to forget. You actually started the game in the front foot...bossed the opening 15.mins....then we hit you on the break with a marginal offside goal....and for whatever reason..you totally caved in...having seen the highlights and goals..defensively you were poor...but I guess the non centre back explains it....I do still think you'll be there at the end of the season.

Hope your daughter is OK with covid and isn't suffering too much

One of those nights for the fans of yours to forget. You actually started the game in the front foot...bossed the opening 15.mins....then we hit you on the break with a marginal offside goal....and for whatever reason..you totally caved in...having seen the highlights and goals..defensively you were poor...but I guess the non centre back explains it....I do still think you'll be there at the end of the season.

Hope your daughter is OK with covid and isn't suffering too much
Thanks m8, symptom wise she's not that bad, she's more pissed off as she was starting a new job next week and her 21st birthday is on Sunday which has all had to be cancelled.

We've had a couple of games once we conceded first we caved in, the other was the FA Cup replay at Plymouth, and in that game we started on the front foot but once the 1st goal went in we gave up, hoping we can get either some defence back or bring someone in on loan.

One of our injured defenders is Lewis Gibson on loan from Everton, he been here since August and only played 45 mins, we were looking to negotiate where he goes back to his parent club. Also looks like Lewis Wing might be recalled by Middlesborough, they are trying to get their game cancelled against the pigs tomorrow and have been told they have to recall their 3 players out on loan which is a bit shitty. Unfortunately it's not worked out for him with us, last year at Rotherham he was excellent.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.