League or Champsion League?

Dream scenario:

Both of us win our remaining league games, we finish on 98 they finish on 97.

We beat Liverpool on pens in the CL final.
Barca. Barca in the final. If we won the other 3 trophies and lost to either of the red teams, it would put a huge fucking dampener on proceedings. Barca I could accept losing to.

League title over 38 matches amidst multiple competitions is always harder than a competition that has max 13 matches where you do not need to win all of them. Good fortune tends to enter more into CL than it will over an entire season
Huh?

I'm not sure what you're trying to state.

But apparently you're of the opinion that it's easier to win the C/L against the world's best teams in a knockout competition - versus winning a league title where multiple losses/draws might occur and yet you'll prevail so long as you've the better record.

Absolutely not - a side better than all others in a non-knockout competition - where an unlucky result or two in a row has no bearing - but where season long performance is the deciding factor - is far more likely to win.

In other words, luck is largely out of the equation in a league title.

But it plays a big role in the C/L - not to mention that the sides you face in the C/L are going to be better than the sides you face in the league.

Winning the C/L is far harder than winning a league title - by a long shot.
===
Look, if you don't see this as absolutely obvious than consider this...

How many European league title winners are there in a single season?

How many Champion's League title winners are there in a single season?

Do you still think it's easier to win the Champion's League?

Still another perspective...

Does any side in European football - have more C/L wins than league title wins? Or even close?

Last edited:
League by a country mile, i really can't get into the CL whatsoever, although i do understand that the players & owners will look on it as the pinnacle.

League >> CL and there's really no question the former is more difficult to win
Look - I get that you might favor winning the league.

But to state that it's easier to win the C/L than to win the league title - is - I'm struggling to come up with the correct adjective...
===
There is one winner of the C/L among all the teams in competition for the title - all the former season's league winners - and other highly skillful teams.

In the C/L - an unlucky result followed by a non-makeup result sees you out.

In the C/L the caliber of opposition you face is far higher than the average competition you face in your own league.

Winning the C/L is far, far more difficult than winning a league title. Obviously. I can't see why you disagree with this.
===
One last attempt to get you back on track towards reasonalbleness...

PSG's sole goal is to win the C/L.

They're by far in away the best squad in their own league.

So, by the metric of it's easier to win the C/L than to win your own league - then, you'd expect that PSG has far more C/L wins than league wins.
===
Apply this same metric to CIty/Barca/RM/and so forth...

No side in European football can possibly have more C/L wins than league title wins.

It's crazy to think otherwise.
====
I will give you this though - the C/L involves a fair bit of luck. Sometimes, by fluke, an untalented side might win the C/L - whereas such an untalented side would stand no chance at winning a league title. Chelsea some years back for example.

Which absolutely does not detract from the obvious fact that winning the C/L is 1-team-in-all of Europe. In a knockout competition where a bad result or two will see you out. In a competition against the best sides in Europe.

Whereas winning a league title - simply means that you need to have the best record against all sides in your league - many of whom are average/awful - certainly not of C/L competition ability - over a 38 (In the case of the P/L) game season, where there's plenty of room for multiple dropped points/missteps - the room for error is far greater than in a knockout competition.
===
One last thought...

Sometimes there will emerge a team that's obviously or arguably the most talented in all of world football...

Nearly always, such a side will win their league title.

But quite often, just such a world-best, league-best, side will fail to win the C/L?

Why?

Because luck factors into the C/L winner far more than it factors into winning a league title.

Going by percentages - it's far less likely that a dominant side will win the C/L than will win the league.

At the same time - if you're not the dominant side in your league - you stand little chance of winning your league. Or of winning the C/L. Yet, if you're lucky, you might pull off a C/L win - but unless you're luck is sustained, you'll still likely lose the league.

Why? Because you've far less games to play to win the C/L - a lucky streak will carry you far.

But against a 38+ game league schedule - your luck is far less likely to hold - the better team will win out.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.