Learning new languages

Tugay One Cup

I'm off to Barcelona in March work related business and want to learn as much Spanish/ Catalan as is possible in that timescale. I'll be with a Dutch company so I might even have to learn the basics of that as well as Cantonese later this year.

Just wondering if any of the cunning linguists on here have any pointers or know any sources that would prove useful.

I speak Spanish to a reasonable level, and currently at night school for German.

I find the Spanish on Duolingo is very useful and user friendly. It is a free app on your phone or even computer, very addictive but that's probably what you need!

Put it this way, I learned a bit of Portuguese on there within a month or so and was using it when I went there on holiday. Dutch is available on there too. If you need any help with Spanish, let me know.

Be sure to learn Catalan, and not Spanish. The Catalans despise the spanish with a passion, and will very much appreciate you learning their language. The differences are usually subtle but important.

Spent 4 years living in South Africa and my wife is a fluent Afrikaans speaker so made the effort. Can converse reasonably well but im hopeless at trying to write in Afrikaans.

Its definitely not easy as you get get older.

I speak Spanish to a reasonable level, and currently at night school for German.

I find the Spanish on Duolingo is very useful and user friendly. It is a free app on your phone or even computer, very addictive but that's probably what you need!

Put it this way, I learned a bit of Portuguese on there within a month or so and was using it when I went there on holiday. Dutch is available on there too. If you need any help with Spanish, let me know.

Appreciate it mate, I'll give Duolingo a check after work.

Be sure to learn Catalan, and not Spanish. The Catalans despise the spanish with a passion, and will very much appreciate you learning their language. The differences are usually subtle but important.

Aye, this is why I want to learn Catalan. Problem is that where I'm working is an international event so I think Spanish will be the most widely spoken.

Hopefully going to have time to meet locals and go to the Barca v Getafe match though so hopefully I'll learn some Catalan in time.

Spent 4 years living in South Africa and my wife is a fluent Afrikaans speaker so made the effort. Can converse reasonably well but im hopeless at trying to write in Afrikaans.

Its definitely not easy as you get get older.

Tell me about it, I regret getting kicked out of all those French and German classes at school now.

Aye, this is why I want to learn Catalan. Problem is that where I'm working is an international event so I think Spanish will be the most widely spoken.

Hopefully going to have time to meet locals and go to the Barca v Getafe match though so hopefully I'll learn some Catalan in time.

Wish I spoke some Catalan too. It is a lot harder to learn though I hear.

Plus traditional Spanish is so widely spoken, although it may be frowned upon in areas of Spain, they still all speak it.

Very true. Lived in southern Catalonia for a few years and Catalan is basically a mixture of French and Spanish with the influence on the Spanish. Once you get your head around the language you've got the dialects to contend with.......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.