Learning Spanish

A lot of Spanish people are interested in language exchanges where you teach them English and they teach you Spanish. Can be done through Skype quite easily. As it's an exchange, it's free.

Way better than Rosetta Stone, which frankly is a bit lame.

Have a look at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.mylanguageexchange.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mylanguageexchange.com/</a> for example.

Alternatively, if you have the time and funds, take an intensive class in Spain itself. For example <a class="postlink" href="http://www.languagesinaction.com/learn-spanish/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.languagesinaction.com/learn-spanish/</a>

I'm doing Spanish at A-level now and love it! However, the quickest way to learn Spanish and become fluent is to be in Spain. If you went now, you'd be fluent by August/September according to my teacher.

However, I'd recommend listening to Spanish news/radio online because you'll pick up things really quickly and if you can begin to speak it now and again to practice, I think you'll be fine :)

Where abouts do you live? There are language classes at my college on Monday evenings (or used to be) for Spanish beginners, intermediate and advanced :)

PhuketBlue said:
danny123 said:
I'm doing Spanish at A-level now and love it! However, the quickest way to learn Spanish and become fluent is to be in Spain. If you went now, you'd be fluent by August/September according to my teacher.

Your teacher is completely wrong. Fluency of a language cannot be reached in 5 months.

ไม่ phucket นายของมันง่ายสีฟ้าฉันเรียนภาษาไทยในเวลาไม่ถึงสัปดาห์

PhuketBlue said:
danny123 said:

Your teacher is completely wrong. Fluency of a language cannot be reached in 5 months.

Mourinho learnt Italian in 3 weeks and he taught it to himself.

PhuketBlue said:
danny123 said:

Well thats a load of tosh. Good friend of the family went on a trip to Peru 4 years ago, spent 4 months there and met a lady and stayed there with her and her family. Came back fluent in Spanish, translating for her to us and vice versa etc. She was here for 7 months (ish) and was fluent in English.

They now live together in India...

TINY said:
PhuketBlue said:

Well thats a load of tosh. Good friend of the family went on a trip to Peru 4 years ago, spent 4 months there and met a lady and stayed there with her and her family. Came back fluent in Spanish, translating for her to us and vice versa etc. She was here for 7 months (ish) and was fluent in English.

They now live together in India...

I guess it depends on your interpretation of the word fluent then. For me, fluent in a language is to speak on pretty much the same level as a native speaker, to be able to watch any film without subtitles, rad any book without a dictionary etc and that you won't achieve in 5 months.

PhuketBlue said:
danny123 said:

Can entirely depend on how well you can speak it already I suppose. We can have a conversation with our language assistant who is a native Spanish speaker for an hour using all the things we know so we already are part of the way there! We already know more than the basics if we were to go to Spain so it would just be picking up more things and speaking Spanish 24 hours a day for however long you are there!

danny123 said:
PhuketBlue said:

Can entirely depend on how well you can speak it already I suppose. We can have a conversation with our language assistant who is a native Spanish speaker for an hour using all the things we know so we already are part of the way there! We already know more than the basics if we were to go to Spain so it would just be picking up more things and speaking Spanish 24 hours a day for however long you are there!

OK. I wrongly assumed you were at beginner level.

There's a reason why universities require you to have A level knowledge of the language before embarking on a 4-year degree course (1 of which is spent in-country).

Just out of interest what level are you at presently? Upper Intermediate/advanced I would guess if you were to attempt to reach fluency within 6 months.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.