Leaving the game early

Aston Villa at the Etihad
2016-17

Left at Half Time

Nothing to do with the style of football and everything to do with nine pints in the Abel Heywood before the game.
I seriously thought it was Full Time.
9 pints in the Abel, massive respect mate. Surprised you didn't go to the Academy Stadium by mistake.

I never left a football match before the end, but I admit I had to leave a couple of music events before time to catch the last train home.

Going back over half a century, when I was 12 years old.
My Dad took me to the FA Cup semi-final vs Everton at Villa Park in 1969.
We were packed in behind the goal (Witton Lane End) stood with all the other City fans, with Everton fans opposite in the Holte End.
Back in those days Dad was a musician in the band at The New Elizabethan Ballroom, Belle Vue.
So with the game at 0-0 stalemate ,and City playing really well vs a very good Everton side , Dad informed me we would have to leave around 4.30 pm as he had to be at work in Belle Vue around 7.30 pm .
He would have to drive back to Manchester up the M6, drop me off at home in Middleton,get a quick bite of food, and then fast foot it out the front door to drive to Gorton.
We left Villa Park with 2/3 minutes of the game left and as we walked past the end of the street near to VP,we heard a huge roar and we both wondered who had scored.
And then a trickle of City fans ran past us, singing and shouting that Tommy Booth had scored in the 89th minute from a corner .
Followed shortly after by another huge roar and we knew that City were in the FA Cup Final.
(And Dad got me back home and then got to work with a few minutes to spare).

Last edited:
9 pints in the Abel, massive respect mate. Surprised you didn't go to the Academy Stadium by mistake.
I peaked (if that's the right word) during the start of the 2000-01 relegation, and somehow managed to sup 25 pints, before, during, and after, our 4-0 defeat at Charlton on the opening day.

We were staying in Bow, and the four of us, received a standing ovation from the locals at the Kings Arms, when we appeared the following lunchtime.
The landlord even brought us free food.

A truly memorable start to an utterly shite season.
By the time of the 5-0 defeat at Arsenal, I was already down to 22 pints.

Last time I did it was last season against Fulham. We book the lakes for my wife's birthday every year with a few others. She doesn't mind me nipping back for the game, as long as I make it back for the evening meal,usually booked for 7.30-8 ish. It's 1-1 and I was still in on 90 mins, decided I had to leave to beat some of the traffic, just as I got out I thought they had scored because I thought the cheers were from the away end, after a short while I heard a louder cheer an thought it was 2-2 got back to the car and found out we had won 2-1 thanks to a last minute penalty from Haaland. Leaving early really isn't for me

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.