Lee Dixon

He was a City fan as a kid, but make no mistake, he’s an Arsenal fan.

As for punditry, he is the shallowest of anyone I’ve seen on the major networks, which is saying something, because our Euros coverage has Daniel Sturridge as the English pundit!

Dixon shares colour commentator duties on NBC/Peacock Premier League with LeSaux, who is streets ahead of him. That said, I’d kill for an ACTUAL SERIOUS, “READ THE GAME” pundit, like Souness or Keane, regardless of my personal feelings about their playing days.

U.S. coverage is quite anodyne, because it’s almost universally about promoting the game, highlighting the PL as the best league in the world, and promoting certain red top players and teams…although the U.S. loves nothing more than a winner, so City have finally broken through (with the caveat of the 115 charges, of course!).

Sadly, Dixon has seen a lot of coverage, given his roots and the team he played for. I don’t expect that to change for the upcoming season, given the pre-season narrative that Arsenal are on the rise while City are not only on the wane (115, no major inflows, KDB & Walker aging, Pep leaving) but will be missing key players early in the season due to the rest needed to recover from the Euros, which will probably show up again as the season goes deep.

Punditry, in general, has become so diluted, the decline in quality was inevitable. However, seeing just how clueless some players are, it makes one realize why some players struggle to understand Pep’s tactics! Some sound to like they have trouble putting their pants on in the morning!

Last edited:
It seems to have passed Dixon by, this tournament, that the 4-in-a-row Premier League Champions play an extremely patient brand of football, with his constant pleas to get the ball forward quickly.

He was a City fan as a kid, but make no mistake, he’s an Arsenal fan.

As for punditry, he is the shallowest of anyone I’ve seen on the major networks, which is saying something, because our Euros coverage has Daniel Sturridge as the English pundit!

Dixon shares colour commentator duties on NBC/Peacock Premier League with LeSaux, who is streets ahead of him. That said, I’d kill for an ACTUAL SERIOUS, “READ THE GAME” pundit, like Souness or Keane, regardless of my personal feelings about their playing days.

U.S. coverage is quite anodyne, because it’s almost universally about promoting the game, highlighting the PL as the best league in the world, and promoting certain red top players and teams…although the U.S. loves nothing more than a winner, so City have finally broken through (with the caveat of the 115 charges, of course!).

Sadly, Dixon has seen a lot of coverage, given his roots and the team he played for. I don’t expect that to change for the upcoming season, given the pre-season narrative that Arsenal are on the rise while City are not only on the wane (115, no major inflows, KDB & Walker aging, Pep leaving) but will be missing key players early in the season due to the rest needed to recover from the Euros, which will probably show up again as the season goes deep.

Punditry, in general, has become so diluted, the decline in quality was inevitable. However, seeing just how clueless some players are, it makes one realize why some players struggle to understand Pep’s tactics! Some sound to like they have trouble putting their pants on in the morning!

Keane’s pretty average tbh.

“Smash into someone”

“Try hard”

“Close them down”

Etc.

It seems to have passed Dixon by, this tournament, that the 4-in-a-row Premier League Champions play an extremely patient brand of football, with his constant pleas to get the ball forward quickly.

He watches a lot of City obviously, and talks about the team a lot, but anything tactical seems to hark back to his days at Arsenal.

I'm sure I read a while back, one of the England women's footballers got laughed at by the men, for doing research prior to her role as a pundit. You get the impression that a lot of them don't really think much about football, but just turn up and say what's in their head - and he remembers the stuff that he was told at Arsenal.

It's a bit like the Mark Lawrenson role - assuming you're the comedy turn, and that viewers would rather hear you make a dad joke, or laugh when the main commentator knows an actual fact.

He watches a lot of City obviously, and talks about the team a lot, but anything tactical seems to hark back to his days at Arsenal.

I'm sure I read a while back, one of the England women's footballers got laughed at by the men, for doing research prior to her role as a pundit. You get the impression that a lot of them don't really think much about football, but just turn up and say what's in their head - and he remembers the stuff that he was told at Arsenal.

It's a bit like the Mark Lawrenson role - assuming you're the comedy turn, and that viewers would rather hear you make a dad joke, or laugh when the main commentator knows an actual fact.

Dixon speaks like it's 1992 and he's just left an England training camp under Graham Taylor.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.