Left back who can defend - best in the world

i think a quick attacking lb is what mancini system is crying out for but unfortunatly kolarov isnt this hes awful defensively and hes nothing special on the attacking side of things

Blue Haze said:
Enrique- available. 15m
Coentrao- he is excellent 1 on 1 but his positioning is sometimes suspect. 19m
Baines- solid defender but we'll overpay. 20+m
Marcelo- Would love him but Real won't sell. 25m minimum

Ranked from most to least available. Wouldn't bother with anyone else.
He said who can defend. Marcelo as good as he has been this year (perhaps the best Leftback in Europe) cannot be said to be a solid defender. He is average. Really his defense is pressuring the righwinger to seat back, coz he too can be deadly. But the actual act of defending? Nah! Average at best.

Baines isn't that great. Id rather have Kolarov than any mentioned so far.

The trouble with left back is that its a thankless task. You need to be equally adept at defending and attacking. In my opinion Kolarov isnt to bad and is oinly going to get better as he gains more expearience in English football.

Ashley Cole is probably the best left back in the league, but his defending is often suspect, and you could say the same for Evra.

If I had to sign a left back someone young with the required potential like Bastos, Bale, Santon or Coentao. But Id rather give Kolarov another 6 months at least.

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=213446" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=10&t=213446</a>

Coentrao - attacking 9/10, defending 7/10 £20-25m
Enrique - attacking 8/10, defending 8/10 £10-20m
Abidal - attacking 7/10, defending 9/10 £15-25m
Baines - attacking 8/10, defending 8/10 £20-25m
Clichy - attacking 8/10, defending 7/10 £10-15m
A. Cole - attacking 9/10, defending 9/10 £25-30m
Bastos - attacking 9/10, defending 6/10 £15-25m
Riise - attacking 7/10, defending 7/10 £10-15m
Olsson - attacking 7/10, defending 6/10 £5-10m

my choice would be abidal or coentrao

We could try and hijack Taye Taiwo's Bosman move to Milan. He isn't the best LB in the world but would cost nothing and is better than Kolarov.

Philip Lahm, Ashley Cole or Coentrao for me from what people have said.

Wonder if Bayern or Chelsea would sell? Would have to be big money.

It appears that Coentrao would be available for the right money and has youth on his side.

We need a better defender than Kolarov. Ideally Lahm for ne as he plays on both left and right though Coentrao sounds a quality option.

Mancini needs to get this one right whoever it is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.