Leighton Baines??

I don't think we need to have the best players at every position. We just need players that fit well. Besides Coentrao will probably rank with Marcelo as the 2 best LB's next year, but in 3 years someone else will pop up. SO no need chasing circles. Just get a solid left back who can do the job Mancini wants properly. Mancini wants a FB that gets foward and causes havoc.

Coentrao, Baines, Enrique, Isaguirre, Ansaldi, Alvaro Perreira, Shmetzel, Contento and a host of other LB's fit the bill. Find the cheapest one who can do the job (and they all can relatively) and get him to compete with Kolarov. and have the 2. Zab and Micah bring different qualities to the RB position yet they are both indispensable. That is what we need at LB. I am not with those who want Coentrao or nothing else. I agree he is right now one of the best, but that is neither here or there.

I want a 2nd good Leftback PERIOD and there are many!!! Baines is one of them.

looking at the rumours in the papers etc. were going for an english back 4 and vinnie... which is fine with me

Richards/Zabaleta
Cahill/Lescott
Kompany/Boateng
Baines/Kolarov

Coentrao is even better crosser. And he is much better and younger.

Baines is too short IMO. He might not do the job for us in the CL. Coentrao would be amazing.

Koalrov is a huge full-back and Baines is completely different. But Coentrao can actually challenge in the air, unlike Baines.

Coentraooo pleaseee Cityyy!!!

I dont rate Baines defensively at all. He is too weak.

Etchy said:
looking at the rumours in the papers etc. were going for an english back 4 and vinnie... which is fine with me

Richards/Zabaleta
Cahill/Lescott
Kompany/Boateng
Baines/Kolarov

I bet thats the thinking. Not a lot of English strikers, but quite a few in the back 5 (including goalie). Back four players dont have to be world class to do a job, our goal defending record says as much, Hart Kompany, NDJ are the only stars back there now. And we have to have 8 home grown or we end up with an empty spot in the roaster so you can say.. home grown or empty spot. Just think of this.. Baines or Bridge. (english left back for english left back)

okstate99 said:
Etchy said:

Richards/Zabaleta
Cahill/Lescott
Kompany/Boateng
Baines/Kolarov

I bet thats the thinking. Not a lot of English strikers, but quite a few in the back 5 (including goalie). Back four players dont have to be world class to do a job, our goal defending record says as much, Hart Kompany, NDJ are the only stars back there now. And we have to have 8 home grown or we end up with an empty spot in the roaster so you can say.. home grown or empty spot. Just think of this.. Baines or Bridge. (english left back for english left back)

i honestly like the look of that... a fully fit richards doing wot he has been doing would have pushed sagna for that place in the pfa team, baines for me is the new england left back until gibbs comes through, hes not a big risk because he knows this league etc. ive always liked cahill at bolton, we do need a new centre half cos lescott and toure are both getting into there 30s, cahill is probably the best we can get but hes a good centre half

We should try and go all out for Ceontrao first as he will be one of the best in the world over the next few years. I wouldn't mind seeing Baines if that move couldn't happen though.

Baines has improved season by season, never going to be spectacular but would do a job for the team, provide competition alongside Kolorov, counts as "homegrown" for Uefa regs and is unlikely to be a big time charlie that rocks the boat if he isnt in the team every game,and of course wouldnt have to adapt to the PL. If we are going to raid Everton for another player, it would be Rodwell for me every time, he would grow into a team like ours,and another name I would throw in is Jones from Blackburn, looks like genuine quality for a 19 year old amongst a team of journeymen.

Baines would be my top priority signing in the summer. Hes proven he can do it, hes got the premiership quality, he can score goals, hes good at crossing, which we need for dzeko, and all around hes 100 times better than kolarov. so what if hes 20 million, what did we pay for kolarov? 16 million? and hes useless! before any striker / midfielder, left back is our weakest position and he should be bought in asap!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.