Ballad of John & Yoko - Lennon
Come together - Lennon
Let it be - McCartney

11 McCartney
10 Lennon
3 Both

Not a lot in it tbh!
Thanks.
I never knew Come Together was a UK single. Surely a B side ?
Also I thought Yellow Submarine was a single. Written by Paul.

Last edited:
Always Lennon for me, but McCartney was the better musician and a perfect foil/partner for Lennon. One thing of note, regardless of whether they’d ever have admitted it or not, was just how much they needed each other. Plastic Ono Band was a great debut solo album from Lennon and the Imagine album was ok, but he wasn’t exactly prolific thereafter, and much of McCartney’s solo stuff was meh. Neither of them came close to touching the heights they did as Beatles IMO
Ive always thought a lot of the solo stuff would've been massively improved had the other three been on the recordings.
In other words, if they were Beatles songs.

UK single releases (main contributor):

Love me do - McCartney
Please please me - Lennon
From me to you - Both
She loves you - Both
I wanna hold your hand - Both
Can’t buy me love - McCartney
Hard day’s night - Lennon
I feel fine - Lennon
Ticket to ride - Lennon
Help - Lennon
We can work it out - McCartney
Day Tripper - Lennon
Paperback writer - McCartney
Eleanor Rigby - McCartney
Strawberry Fields - Lennon
Penny Lane - McCartney
All you need is love - Lennon
Hello goodbye - McCartney
Lady Madonna - McCartney
Hey Jude - McCartney
Get back - McCartney
Ballad of John & Yoko - Lennon
Come together - Lennon
Let it be - McCartney

11 McCartney
10 Lennon
3 Both

Not a lot in it tbh!

Would you not include the EPs in with the singles?

I think for the beatles 2 nowhere man and magical mystery tour were mainly McCartney with the others a mix

I don't know who added the vote thing to my thread but I found it almost impossible to choose.
I love tons of song's by both of them.
And let's not forget that if a song is known as a John or Paul song, the other usually had some input to make it better.
John played fantastic rhythm guitar on Paul's All My Loving.
Paul wrote the middle eight on John's In My Life and A Day In the Life. Etc

In the end I chose Paul. Purely because when I pick up my acoustic guitar I usually play and sing mainly Paul's songs, I like singing them.
Blackbird
For No One
And I Love Her
Every Night
Michelle.
Yesterday
Here There and everywhere.

I love singing these.
That's the only reason I chose Paul.

Last edited:
Mull of Kintyre and The Frog Chorus?

Really?
McCartney is the most successful songwriter in history.
Mull of Kintyre is still I think the biggest selling single. It's a very well written song if you really listen to it.
I agree it was overplayed but I'll tell you what... I bet 99% of songwriters wish they could come up with something as melodic and catchy as that .
I actually love it when the piper's come in.
I know people knock in him for the frog chorus but he really wrote it for kids, to go with the cartoon, his own kids were little at that time, he has written things for kids before like Yellow Submarine.
Having had little kids myself I can see why he wanted to write something that would appeal to them.

Thanks.
I never knew Come Together was a UK single. Surely a B side ?
Also I thought Yellow Submarine was a single. Written by Paul.

Yes, ‘Come Together’ was a double ‘A’ side with ‘Something’. It only reached no.4 in the UK (no.1 in the USA), primarily because it was released 2 weeks after Abbey Road, which of course both songs were on.
I forgot ‘Yellow Submarine’!

Difficult to separate Lennon and McCartney.
You could say that George Harrison had the best songs on a number of albums from 1965 onwards. All things must pass is a fantastic solo album.
Rubber Soul - If I needed someone
Revolver - Taxman
White Album - While me guitar gently weeps
Abbey Road - Something/ Here comes the sun

It’s what gives them the edge on everyone else. Three, very different, phenomenal talents in my opinion.

George certainly came into his own in the later years (and he famously got fed up with not getting more of his songs onto the Beatles’ later albums - with no little justification in the case of ‘Sour Milk Sea’, which was demo’d for the White Album, and ‘All things must pass’, which was demo’d for Let It Be) and funnily enough I probably regularly play more of his songs on the guitar (including all the ones you name above) than I do Lennon & McCartney numbers. You can certainly make a case for Something being the best song on Abbey Road, but I think you’re stretching it with ‘If I needed someone’ and ‘Taxman’, given that ‘In my life’ and ‘Tomorrow never knows’ are on Rubber Soul and Revolver respectively, IMO

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.