Leroy Sane - 2018/2019 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sane loses the ball in the final third all the time, so does De Bruyne. Hell so do Messi and Ronaldo. He is one of the most productive players in the league. Its absolutely criminal that in so many of our biggest games the last 2 years Pep has refused to go with Sane-Aguero-Sterling.

Sane is a frustrating player sometimes, but if he plays the whole game he contributes goals. That is what matters.

Must be something else going on behind the scenes between him & Pep other than the contract stalemate.

If he runs his contract down & leaves on a free that would be a disaster. Has he got 2 years left?

Mahrez hasn't been playing either. Like Sane, he's not better than Sterling and Bernardo on the wings. I think it's as much this as anything.

We are winning literally every game playing Sterling and Bernardo wide. That's good enough for me. I love Sane but look at how often he loses the ball versus the other two. Yesterday in particular.

If Sane can elevate his game and earn a starting spot then great. But I don't want to see the unimaginable horror of a dipper PL title just because we needed to keep Leroy happy.

Bernardo isn't a better winger than Sane though, and Raz isnt a better left winger.

It's mainly due to controlling the ball and pressing. Pep is simply being more pragmatic as the season is reaching it's conclusion. We haven't blown a team away in the prem since Chelsea and have only conceded 5 goals in 2019.

Sane loses the ball in the final third all the time, so does De Bruyne. Hell so do Messi and Ronaldo. He is one of the most productive players in the league. Its absolutely criminal that in so many of our biggest games the last 2 years Pep has refused to go with Sane-Aguero-Sterling.

Sane is a frustrating player sometimes, but if he plays the whole game he contributes goals. That is what matters.

It is not what matters if he is also responsible for counter attacks after losing the ball.
I speak as someone who believes that he has a talent ceiling as high as anyone at the club. He is an immense prospect with natural gifts most can only dream of. Pep has been around the world's top players since he was a teenager and he is the most successful manager of the modern era. He is a good judge and I can only assume that he sees something in Leroy that he needs to manage. It could be work rate, ego, or simply that he believes that, at present, someone else in the team contributes more to the whole. I noticed a couple of time yesterday that he made little effort to retrieve possession after he lost it, while other times he made a monumental effort. Perhaps it is simply more consistency from him that Pep seeks. Who knows?

He is always a threat and in nearly every game will create a scoring opportunity. Did so yesterday with the chance for Sterling. I assume it is the defensive work Pep is still comcerned by. He went on a starting run and I can't recall when he was left out of the team, perhaps something happened in that game or training that has offended Pep.

He has all the talent in the world. We all said he would be a better player than Sterling with a higher ceiling yet here we are a couple of seasons later and Sterling has just pushed on and on whilst Sane remains an exciting talent who can be a little frustrating.

I hope the club can keep him and Jesus because they are excellent players and will get more and more game time as others age. Next season Jesus will have to play more and Bernardo and Foden will likely be playing centrally ahead of Silva at times which means Sane will get lots of chances too. I don't get why he isn't used on the right hand side occasionally. I know Pep likes the wingers to widen the pitch but Sane would still be a threat from the right and can cut in amd shoot.

In the PL we’ve only dropped points once (against Wolves) when starting Sterling and Bernardo on the wings. Despite Sane starting only 20 games he’s started in every loss this season. On his day he’s world class but he’s extremly incosistent and right now isn’t offering as much to our game as Sterling and Bernardo are. I’d like him to start in the derby because KDB is out but when everyone is available I won’t find it strange that he’s getting benched. He’s not good enough at the moment to start over Raz/Bernie/Gundogan.

I’m really worried.

I’d be more gutted if he left us than I was when Shaun Wright-Phillips left.

In the PL we’ve only dropped points once (against Wolves) when starting Sterling and Bernardo on the wings. Despite Sane starting only 20 games he’s started in every loss this season. On his day he’s world class but he’s extremly incosistent and right now isn’t offering as much to our game as Sterling and Bernardo are. I’d like him to start in the derby because KDB is out but when everyone is available I won’t find it strange that he’s getting benched. He’s not good enough at the moment to start over Raz/Bernie/Gundogan.
He is not “extremely” inconsistent.

He is mainly very good to excellent, with the odd average game. I’d say he’s MILDLY inconsistent.

He’s still got the most assists in the team despite not playing a great deal. He has me in the edge of my seat more than any other player we have.

I think there is more to this than meets the eye. On Saturday when Leroy came on as a substitute he was isolated. I sit near the home dugout so could see Leroys frustration as Zinchenko passed the ball infield instead of to Leroy who had no players in front of him and could easily outpace the Tottenham defender. Happened about three or four times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.