Lessons You’ve Learnt From Organising Your CL Final Istanbul Trip In The Future

Sometimes you can reserve a flight by paying a very small deposit
We paid £32 upfront got ret flight Gatwick direct £243 Thurs - Mon

Lost small amounts in the past with Paris, Madrid flights took a punt. Brum to Madrid was one way £59 three of us so was worth the risk. Plus three less scousers got to go on that plane so quite satisfying really
Booked Milan and still went

Never ever ever ever ever use On The Beach the useless fucking twats

Apart from that everything has been smooth sailing, booked straight after the Madrid second leg so costs were easily manageable, was always going to get a ticket on the cup scheme, fuck united (and Inter)

I know I will get ticket for the CL final in the future without worrying about it as I’m in the CL cup scheme.
Booking a hotel room in advance with an option to cancel.
Booking a flight as soon as possible with a lock in price.
In general being a bit more pro-active and savvy when it comes to organising a CL final trip.
And a host of other minor things.
The lock-in price for a flight is the biggest trick that I missed. I wasn't even aware that such a thing existed until a couple of weeks ago. Also, with it being in Turkey I could've booked a nice week's holiday at a beach resort months ago for a good price and done the internal flight for the match in the event of us getting to the final.

That said, even though I didn't book anything until after we qualified I'm quite happy with the price we got our flights and digs for. It compares very favourably with the price of City's day trip. Assuming nothing goes badly wrong where I end up with a big unexpected bill, I'm doing the whole lot - flights, 3 nights digs, match ticket, and spending money - all for roughly the same price as the cost of that day trip flight alone.

I learnt not to trust the MCFC/UEFA system. Requested a UEFA access code via the email received from City. Didn’t get one!! Despite numerous calls to the club, hanging on for hours to speak to someone and even going to the Etihad no luck so no match ticket. Flights and hotel already booked so hundreds of £££ down the drain. Bastards

Letting slip to the Misses that I paid €700 off a tout for a ticket in Porto set me back a few steps when I started arranging my trip.

She's been made redundant and used the line "you'd better get a reasonably priced ticket this time as I know you're daft enough to pay £1000 off a tout when you're pissed"

The lock-in price for a flight is the biggest trick that I missed. I wasn't even aware that such a thing existed until a couple of weeks ago. Also, with it being in Turkey I could've booked a nice week's holiday at a beach resort months ago for a good price and done the internal flight for the match in the event of us getting to the final.

That said, even though I didn't book anything until after we qualified I'm quite happy with the price we got our flights and digs for. It compares very favourably with the price of City's day trip. Assuming nothing goes badly wrong where I end up with a big unexpected bill, I'm doing the whole lot - flights, 3 nights digs, match ticket, and spending money - all for roughly the same price as the cost of that day trip flight alone.
I stumbled across the price lock in with Turkish Airlines a few days before Madrid at home. Got direct flights locked in for £380 each for 3 of us from Manchester.
I don't get the staying at a resort in Turkey thing. I'd just be itching to get to Istanbul. As it is we're going Wednesday to Monday and I can't wait. We'll be regulars in the bars on Nevizade by match day.

Dont leave any evidence at all of the cost of your match ticket, flight, hotel for the Mrs to find.....she 'will' use it against you and then order that £4000 sofa she really wanted a fews months ago but you said too much!
Ditto, and always halve the the cost when she asks

Mate of mine is a big Liverpool fan. Home and away all the time.
He books 2 hotels once he knows where the final is to be held, just in case one cancels on him, then they all book flights.
Everything can be cancelled.
It works for him everytime.
We're just not that cocky yet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.